Topic Options
#24995 - 08/21/02 03:32 PM lavender gene in silkies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I've just hatched out 10 chicks from a pair of blue silkies and all are blue, not a black or splashed one among them. Either the odds have been very much in my favour (unless they are all cockerels!) or they are not blue. I've never heard of a lavender silkie, does they exist?

Elizabeth

#24996 - 08/21/02 04:36 PM Re: lavender gene in silkies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Surely there are (recessive) lavender silkies. It would be too amazing if there were not. Lavender birds sometimes are called 'self blue' because they breed true unlike the ones with the andalusian blue gene.

If your blue silkies are lavender homozygotes, then your progeny would all be lavender. If they were both Bl / bl+ (blue heterozygotes), only half of the chicks would be blue.

#24997 - 08/22/02 05:56 AM Re: lavender gene in silkies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a look on marsa-sellers site which offers the following on lav:

"Recessive lavender has been associated with poor feather quality and even lack of feathers in some breeds. Lavender dilutes both black and red; changes black to grey and red to cream. Blue fowls termed "self blue" are normally lavender homozygotes. A mating of two lav homozygotes (blue fowls) will produce blue offspring. Lavender causes dilution by inhibiting the transfer of pigment granules from melanocytes, which produce them, to the feather structure. Lavender expression in homozygotes is present in chicks and adults."

I guess the only way to be sure is to look at the offspring from the next generation, and see if they breed true as well. The parents are quite a light blue colour, whereas some of the true-blue silkies I've seen have been either quite a dark grey or irregularly marked (almost like a grey-splash).

My black runnerducks produced duskies (dark mallard) as well this season, which excited the breeding community hereabouts, I wonder what other genetic surprises are in store this season!

Elizabeth

#24998 - 08/22/02 06:50 AM Re: lavender gene in silkies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your post, Elizabeth. I might elaborate on the online genetics site the comments about lav. In this effort, we walk a thin line between giving enough information to be understandable and not giving too much so as to be confusing or giving more information than people want to know.

The recessive lavender is sometimes associated with poor feather quality because of the mechanism through which it dilutes feather color - that mechanism can cause structural problems and I believe we have some examples in our poultry here particularly in our Ameraucana line.

#24999 - 08/22/02 07:06 AM Re: lavender gene in silkies?
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I believe that the issue of feather quality associated with the lavender gene is also present in other species. Lavender Ripple Muscovies look OK for the first few weeks after molting and then the feathers begin to get ragged: much faster than other ducks and/or Muscovy colours.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69