Topic Options
#2501 - 07/18/02 11:58 AM Pullet feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone tell me at what point you change pullets from chickstarter feed to laying feed? And do you start by gradually mixing in laying feed with the chickstarter, so there's not an abrupt change?

Thanks for your help.

#2502 - 07/18/02 12:48 PM Re: Pullet feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would not go from chick start directly to laying mash. Somewhere they should have grower finisher. But at about 20 weeks they can be on laying mash. You should gradually change from feed to feed as well.

#2503 - 07/18/02 12:59 PM Re: Pullet feed
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I go from starter to layer crumble. I mix up the last bag of starter with a bag of layer crumble and after that, just straight layer crumble. I switch them when they are about 18 to 20 weeks.

Grower/finisher, in my opinion, is totally unnecessary. I think most people use that for meat birds -- hence the name "finisher".

Susie

#2504 - 07/18/02 01:20 PM Re: Pullet feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

t

#2505 - 07/18/02 05:39 PM Re: Pullet feed
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Not all feed stores have grower finisher. Mixing the two feeds during the change over should work fine. If you are using medicated starter I would get my last bag unmedicated to get it worked out of them before they start laying. 18 to 20 weeks is a good time to be changed over.

Bill

#2506 - 07/18/02 06:22 PM Re: Pullet feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I switch my birds over to grower once they fully feather out (or when they can comfortably pickup and eat grower crumble, or pellets), which varies from breed to breed. I keep them on grower until they start laying, so they end up on grower for several months. I never have nursed them from one feed to the next, but I agree that its probably a good idea. When laying starts, they get laying pellets with a seperate hopper of oyster shells. It's worked for me so far. laugh

#2507 - 07/19/02 03:45 AM Re: Pullet feed
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I agree with Susie. The birds are switched over to layer mash (I'd like to do crumbles but they are about twice the cost of mash in my area) at about 16 weeks. By then the butcher stock has been taken off the roster and the birds are about adult size (as far as the frame is concerned, well, maybe 75% of adult size). My pullets generally start to lay at 18 weeks for the early hatches(February) and 20 weeks or so for the late hatches(May and June). The extra protein is nothing but trouble after the fowl reach a certain point in their development and can cause developmental problems such as limb weaknesses and digestive disorders.

#2508 - 07/19/02 10:32 AM Re: Pullet feed
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
My layer feed is so low in calcium that my birds eat tons of oyster shells. I don't even bother getting a chick starter any more, because it has medication. I just feed my birds for the first three week game-bird feed but then I introduce them to the adult flock where they get to eat left-over bread, layer ratio and scratch. Because of low calcium makeup of my feed, my chicks seem to grow on it pretty well. --Just my 2 cents worth.

#2509 - 07/19/02 01:32 PM Re: Pullet feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

The name of the feed Grower/Finisher helps the bird finish feathering out and growing. It is not always used for broilers. I use it for my Polish and they are breeding stock not for the cooker.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn