Topic Options
#26287 - 08/07/02 10:14 PM What colour are these chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could anyone please tell me what colour these chickens are?

The Pictures came from feathersite.com, but they look exactly like my hens do.

Thank-You

#26288 - 08/08/02 06:07 AM Re: What colour are these chickens?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
They are all mix breed mongrels. The first seems to have wheaten with some type of weak columbian restrictor and possibly Pg to give the poor penciling in her feathers.

The second one looks like it has a lot of silver penciled in her, but is a very poor example of silver penciled. She is probably ebeb (brown or partridge) at the E locus with Pg (pattern gene) giving her the penciling.

The third hen is like a New Hamp, but looks blue splash because of the gray in her tail and hackle feathers. Andalusian blue does not dilute red as much as it does black. White tailed red commercial egg production stocks look like this except that they have white in their tails and hackles due to dominant white. They have wheaten, columbian, sex-linked gold and dominant white. I don't know how much wheaten the third hen has but she is definitely columbian restricted with sex-linked gold. The gray in her tail indicates blue, but Ii heterozygous dominant white birds often have gray feathers too.

#26289 - 08/08/02 07:14 PM Re: What colour are these chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The top and bottom pictures are of ameraucana mongrels, aka easter eggers. These are ameraucanas that have been crossed with leghorns to increase egg production, and then crossed with whatever for years. They have no color patterns, and cannot be shown at APA shows.

#26290 - 08/09/02 05:18 PM Re: What colour are these chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, actually, they can be shown, but they won't win anything and could be disqualified. I like the purebreds because there is a better likelihood of getting a real nice pretty one.

#26291 - 08/09/02 05:55 PM Re: What colour are these chickens?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
There used to be a multicolor category for Ameraucanas. If you met the structural standard (pea comb, blue shank, muffs and beards, etc.) you could enter your bird.

Congrats Packers on winning that competition. I'm giving a symposium talk at PSA Sunday in Delaware on feather color genes and marker assisted selection, so there is still some type of future for geneticists out there.

Ron Okimoto

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69