Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2667 - 02/20/03 02:59 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Shaddy, Can you explain why the apple cider vinegar in the water? I have heard people say they do it, but I'm not sure why. Also, would you be willing to share your grain mix recipe with us? Thanks!

#2668 - 02/20/03 04:20 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Early Bird Offline
New Egg

Loc: Arkansas
I believe the idea for using cider vinegar is that it decreases the ph of the intestines which helps promote beneficial bacteria to colonize the gut and thereby exclude the bad guys like Salmonella Enterididis. Some folks use yogurt to do the same kind of thing. Hope this is helpful.

#2669 - 02/20/03 06:27 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks jhend for proper link to the official definition of organic.
there are plenty of other good sounding words to use that have not the same legal implications- natural, no vaccines, free range (that has a legal definition, but easily met) "pastured" etc

#2670 - 02/21/03 02:01 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

The apple cider vineger idea was given to me by a friend who raises chickens and turkeys. She told me it helps "clean out their systems" if any sicknesses are present. I put it in the first filling of all the waterers (approx 3 tbsp per small waterer, you shouldn't be able to taste it) and just top up the waterers after that for a couple of days to be sure all the vinegar is gone. After that just water as usual. (this vineger sure stinks!)
We also start our little ones in the garage which is insulated and attached to the house. No predators or drafts and the chicks have lots of company with us going in and out all the time and dogs and cats. (Don't worry the cats and dogs baby these little ones like thier own! smile )

:p

#2671 - 02/22/03 06:16 AM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Shaddy! So you only use the vinegar the first 2 waterings with your chicks, but not with your larger birds?

#2672 - 02/22/03 07:41 AM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, only the first waterings. After that they are fine. I always taste the water first to make sure you can't taste the vinegar. I heard one guy put HALF/HALF!!!! eek Lost all his babies because it burned thier little throats!!

#2673 - 02/22/03 08:04 AM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

The correct dosage should be about 1 ounce to a gallon of water. I give mine 2xper week say sat & sun and the other 5 days regular water. Some of my colleagues gives it daily.

It is also benficial for us (humans). I mix mine with honey before I drink it. Do a search on ACV and you will get all the info. mike

#2674 - 02/22/03 07:52 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Fancy free. What do you mean by ACV? I would like to learn much more about natural remedies. Any more web site that may be helpful?
Thanks the hobby farm!

#2675 - 02/23/03 07:09 AM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just type in Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and search. There is a mountain of info on the web about ACV. You can also find it at Walmart in tablet form.
By the way ,I try to use only natural ACV, with the Mother is even better.
In my area , we have a high % of Certified Organic operations, including my family's farm. So ask away and I will try to answer you.

#2676 - 05/13/04 12:09 PM Re: raising chickens organically
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did a seach for vinegar here on these boards and found this thread. I met a woman today (while looking at the baby chicks in the farm area of Lincoln Park Zoo) who says she raises 250 birds for meat and eggs. I believe she said they were organic and she told me to research using cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for good health with chicks. Any word from anyone here on peroxide?

Steven
Chicago

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn