Topic Options
#26912 - 07/26/02 02:40 PM Comb Genotypes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, this is my first post on the new The Coop. I went on vacation for a week and came back to a whole new operation. I must admit that I like the old version better, and all I've had from this site is trouble.

Anyway, my question is what combinations of genotypes make the combs? I know that RR/Rr is rose comb, PP/Pp is pea comb, and pp/rr is single comb. What about walnut, strawberry, cushion, buttercup, etc combs?

#26913 - 07/26/02 03:52 PM Re: Comb Genotypes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Pakers-

Regarding trouble using the site -let me know what you find confusing or that doesn't seem to work and I can give you some help. You can send me a private message by clicking the picture of the two little people beside an envelope that is to the top right this post.

Then later to see if you have a private message waiting for you (and I will send you one now so you can see what I mean)--when you first get to the site click on the link my profile right below the words "The Classroom @ the Coop" at the top right of the main forum page.

I think once you are used to the system it will become second nature to use it, just like the old one.

KariS.

#26914 - 07/26/02 05:40 PM Re: Comb Genotypes
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Pete, glad your back. Here is my take on combs. P= pea,,R= rose, lack of either gene= straight. R and P are on seperate chromosomes and both are dominant. They work together to make the walnut type comb.Actually in your post RRPp is walnut. (i hink). Hey, go to Lees web site @ marsasellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page2.html rob

#26915 - 07/28/02 12:19 PM Re: Comb Genotypes
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Walnut and cushion comb are the same things. There are modifiers that make a rose comb smooth or bumpy. Wyandottes have the smooth short rose comb coming into fashion. While rose comb bantams still have the long pointed rose comb with bumps on it. Cushion comb probably has the smooth modifiers.

The buttercup comb is due to another dominant gene D. The buttercup comb is less dominant than the Lefleche type two horned duplex comb. The alleles are called Dv for the most dominant duplex comb and Dc for the cup type comb. Dv is found in Polish and is associated with cavernous nostrils (big nose holes in the beak). The Dc allele seems to cut the single comb down the middle and makes two combs. The buttercup allele is probably responsible for the stag horn duplex comb found in some Houdans. The crest modifies comb morphology by shortening the comb and pushing it more to the forhead.

The standard states that Silkies have walnut combs, but the original silkies had a trifid comb. The trifid comb was characterized by Punnett as being a rose comb variant. He did not see pea comb in his silkie crosses and he was the one that determined the genetics of walnut comb, so if Silkies had walnut Punnett was the guy that should have known this.

There is a recessive combless type called Breda. The original wild Red Junglefowl had combless females. These seem to be extinct in the wild and the wild populations seem to have domestic blood in them now. There is still a line of Red Junglefowl in the US that has the original type.

#26916 - 07/29/02 03:40 AM Re: Comb Genotypes
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Pakers! I am glad to see you post again. Rokimoto I appreciated your post on genotypes for combs. As I'm reading your post it seems to me that I can better understand why breeding a Buttercup with a 'good' comb was not easy. Thank you.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69