Topic Options
#2826 - 07/24/02 05:19 PM what kind of hen is this???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I have a question regarding my hens that I got at a hatchery this past spring.They told me that the birds were called (HIGHLAND BROWN) My question is what is the real name for this bird?
sorry for the ignerance but this is my first chicken experiance smile Im in Canada if this helps they lay brown eggs there colors are of course brown with white under feathers and they are the friendliest chickens I have ever come across. oh ya they way about 4 to5 lbs each.
any info on them would be very helpful thank you!
Debbie.

#2827 - 07/24/02 11:27 PM Re: what kind of hen is this???
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
If this were a "breed discussions" thread I would not dare to reply, but here I would say you most probably have just plain "production reds".
They are real laying machines, almost never go broody, are quite hardy and, if you give them enough space, they should be the friendliest chickens. Are these "production birds" grateful to us for saving them from battery? I am sure they are!
Enjoy your birds. Anny

#2828 - 07/25/02 04:47 AM Re: what kind of hen is this???
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
The birds are Hi-Line Brown...a hybrid brown egg layer bred by the Hy-Line division of Lohmann Tierzucht.

#2829 - 07/25/02 09:59 AM Re: what kind of hen is this???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, thank you.. sory about the misspelling.
So did they come from "road red" or??? Like i said I knew nothing! untill I got them. and I am wanting to look the breed up, reading wise etc..
just for my personal knowlege.I like to reaserch
every animal I get on my hobby farm.
(just a newbie to the chicken life) thanks guys smile

#2830 - 07/25/02 11:10 AM Re: what kind of hen is this???
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
As Caveny said, they are a hybrid. They are the result of at least two breeds crossed to procuce a brown egg layer. There was a Highland 55, white egg layer also. It is not a true breed but could have R.I.Red or New Hamp. in the cross.

#2831 - 07/25/02 11:21 AM Re: what kind of hen is this???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thankyou! that is clarifing smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn