Page 12 of 20 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29387 - 08/28/09 09:44 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
If any body is interested in taking on some of the off color side projects let me know. Blue partridge(more or less),blue buff columbian(only cockerels),new blood for existing partridge projects,
My computers have crapped out again, I am typing this from the Library, so don't expect immediate replies.

#29388 - 08/28/09 04:45 PM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Big Medicine,

That is a very impressive group of blue-laced birds!

I purchased a big partridge rooster of German decent this summer because I couldn’t find a blue partridge. I intend to breed him to my oldest, biggest, typiest buff laced girl this fall. She is a bit on the homely side – looks a bit like a Toulouse Goose actually – but I haven’t used her that much, so it would produce some large typey outcross birds for next seasons breeding pens.

Actually, from your flock I’d be more interested in a blue laced buff cockerel than in blue partridge. In them you have already done the work of combining the pattern gene with columbian and adding melanotic and blue gene (plus such a bird would not carry mahogany – a bonus for me).

I love the bird in the third photo down (the blue laced red cockerel). WOW! As I mentioned earlier, I paired up a few gold (deep red) laced birds this year with you in mind, but the reddest cockerel from this breeding looks to be hetero for pea comb and still has a completely black neck. I should have hatched more from this group. I have selected against autosomal red as it makes my buff laced cocks look too red-shouldered, and I have selected against mahogany as my goal is buff laced, not white laced red. Just the same, I am certain I still have both genes floating around in my flock that would work for you.

Dan

#29389 - 08/28/09 05:18 PM Re: Brahma project
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by big medicine:
Not a very good shot, but I think this guy gives a little hint of a shot of sporting blood deep in his backround.
Wow, he looks more oriental like a Malay or something. They are coming along great!

#29390 - 09/16/09 09:18 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

A pair of the the young blue laced birds

#29391 - 09/20/09 10:25 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Medicine,
What a beautiful pair of blue laced reds! I can't wait to see them at maturity.
Dan

#29392 - 09/20/09 03:54 PM Re: Brahma project
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
well here is the start of my project, inspired by this discussion. a light brahma x dark indian game:

i am also doing a cross to a jubileee indian game then perhaps i will work to white laced reds who knows?

#29393 - 09/21/09 06:54 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Hey Ruff,
interesting, cleaner field of white than I would have expected. Does your Brahma male have a clean white saddle?

A little looser feather and more Brahma type than I remember in my early crosses.

Also a little better leg feathering than my early crosses,especially the Wyandotte imput in the blue laced project,which tended toward cleaner legs. Is your male vulture hocked?

Looks to have pretty decent width of skull.

Can you feel the Cornish blood in her breast when you handle her? That was very apparent, along with the short legs early on in mine. You look to have avoided the short leg issue.

Over all a good looking bird. more Brahma-ish than I started with.

#29394 - 10/07/09 10:53 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Recent photo of one of the blue partridge cockerels

#29395 - 10/09/09 06:29 PM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Medicine,

I am guessing your cockerels must be faster to feather than mine. Mine all still look like six pound chicks without tails - and that blue partridge boy you posted looks like a full blown brahma already! How old is he?

Please keep posting pics. I have a gorgeous collection of buff laced pullets this fall, but my cockerels are rather disappointing still. But, I am always saying that in the autumn.

Thanks for pushing forward,
Dan

#29396 - 10/10/09 06:27 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Dan,
there is quite a difference between my red and silver birds. The red males develop much quicker than the silvers,

The blue partridge cockerel in the photos could have been hatched as early as mid April. Still need work on the footfeathering. Are you aware of any breeders in the U.S. working on blue partridge Brahma large fowl. I would like to find a breeder who could utilize his potential. I may list him on eggbid, or take him to Columbus next month.

Your buff laced sound a lot like my silver laced. The pullets have looked good from the start, while the cockerels have looked like a waste of feed. Just in the past week or so I will come around the corner and see a cockerel in the yard and think "ya well maybe", which believe me is a step up from the impression they had been giving.

Just remember patience is a virtue.
big medicine

Page 12 of 20 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69