Page 13 of 20 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29397 - 10/13/09 08:17 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Friend of mine picked up the blue partridge cockerel Sunday, will be going into a pen of (black) partridge Brahma hens. This is the same guy who has the blue light Brahma large fowl, that I got the splash pullets from. He is also working on black Brahma large fowl.

big medicine

#29398 - 10/13/09 09:49 AM Re: Brahma project
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
A friend of mine in Illinois had partridge and blue partridge Brahmas from German imports. Unfortunately, minks got into the barn and killed all of them. She did, however, sell hatching eggs on eggbid.com, so hopefully someone out there has some of her bloodline.

#29399 - 10/20/09 05:02 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is the buff brahma phenotype affected by the presence or absence of the pattern gene, Pg?

Conversely, if I add a double dose of Co to the partridge genotype would it be in anyway distinguishable from buff columbian?

Thanks,
Dan

#29400 - 10/20/09 08:58 AM Re: Brahma project
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Co/Co plus Pg/Pg would be either buff columbian or very maybe pencilled like the partridge but with blacktailed/buff columbian males (braungebändert).

#29401 - 10/25/09 02:02 PM Re: Brahma project
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I'm sure you've mentioned this before big medicine, but since introducing the Cornish, have the egg-laying abilities decreased? Any fertility issues?

I realize the Cornish was added fairly early on in the project, but was just curious.

#29402 - 10/26/09 06:17 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Well, kind of hard to say. Starting with the silver laced Cochins, as I did. If a hen had good type, and kept good clean lacing, she stayed in the breeding pen, regardless of age. Several of these ol gals lasted well past their best laying years, skewing the percieved rate of lay for the group, but helping to cement proper lacing in the line. It was this line that was accidentally crossed with white Cornish resulting in the start of this "project", so I don't really have a good starting point of reference.

As for fertility, I don't remember that ever being an issue. But it does make me wonder. Early on I was dealing with the short Cornish leg issue. I was trying to breed away from it, but until I introduced the Brahma blood it would still show up occasionally. I don't remember a high incidence of dead chicks before hatch that I read of with Cornish, or Japs.

#29403 - 11/12/09 10:01 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Well folks the silver laced cockerels are finally starting to come around. Will try to get some updated photos posted.

Now for the big question. I will be for the first time offering breeding stock to serious breeders and serious hobbyist who wish to continue with the development of these birds. I would like for them to get popular enough to eventually be accepted by the APA. The question is what in your opinion would be a resonable asking price for a start of these birds?

#29404 - 11/13/09 06:04 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Medicine,

I suggest putting some on Eggbid and letting the market determine their price. I tried to only sell my variety to people who seemed passionate about continuing my project and taking it to the next level. The objectives with my brahma projects are twofold: one is to reestablish utility in the breed and the other is too impart novel colors that set them apart from closely related breeds and hopefully renew a bit of interest in them. The issue for my buff laced variety is that the only other breeds that have a buff laced variety are polish and sebrights - so many of my birds are already being used to develop buff laced wyandottes and cochins here in the US. Wyandotte and Cochin breeders embrace new color varieties whereas brahma breeders have resisted all change - save for removing nearly all utility from the breed. Hopefully by the time buff laced cochins and wyandottes arrive on the scene my buff laced brahmas will be the dual purpose beauties I envision and my silver spangled brahmas will be well on their way to joining them. I suggest selling only the best you can afford to part with and pricing them high enough to discourage all but the most dedicated breeders at this point. Conversely, I have given away some of my best birds to people in the hopes of igniting their passion for poultry. Good luck!

Dan

#29405 - 11/20/09 08:21 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Some recent group shots.
Some of the silver laced cockerels, finally starting to show some promise, pullets in back pen.

Cluster of silver laced pullets.

#29406 - 11/20/09 08:25 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Blue laced cockerels

Blue laced pullets with buff pullet I held back for Dan in front

Black laced pullets

Page 13 of 20 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69