Page 5 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29317 - 04/05/09 07:57 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

These are gold laced hens that are two years old. The pictures were taken last summer. These are from my buff-laced line that drew its lacing from Wyandottes. I still have these two hens, though the weather hasn’t been cooperating for me to get a more recent photo.

#29318 - 04/05/09 08:07 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

This hen was 2 years old at the time the photo was taken – last summer. She is from my buff laced line that drew its lacing from gold laced cochins – and it shows. One of my favorites, but unfortunately I lost this hen last fall. Luckily, I did manage to get several very nice offspring.

#29319 - 04/06/09 06:22 PM Re: Brahma project
Raf Offline
Bantam

Loc: Australia
Fantastic thread guys.

So good to see the results of dedicated breeding.

Raf

#29320 - 04/07/09 04:54 PM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Medicine,

I was just reviewing the thread and realized that I hadn’t answered a couple of your questions.

I do believe that dominant white does reduce gold tones. I have not noticed this in this project so much as in my bantam hamburg/sebright/campine projects. Generally it seems to turn a rich gold bay to mealy buff. However, some of my buff-laced Brahmas have a brilliant golden buff color that I have not obtained in my other work with dominant white. The black lacing is more or less eradicated – though it would be cleaned up further with blue.

I have used both buff columbian and darks or partridge early-on for this project, and found it to be more rewarding to use the partridge. Why? I am not sure - maybe because I’d rather look at an F1 bird with mossy/stippled lacing than at an F1 bird with crescent lacing. I don’t know. The greatest issue with the buff-laced pattern has been with getting birds homozygous for melanotic. My birds seem to be homozygous for Columbian, but not necessarily for melanotic. There are clearly some gene linkage issues that my selection for comb type and feather pattern have exacerbated.

If you can find some nice SQ blue partridge Brahmas for your blue laced red line I think you might reach your goal much faster than with using SQ buffs. My gold-laced birds from buff columbians tend to have very pale buff ground color – very much like the gold-laced pullet in the recent photos I posted. As of yet I have not found any blue partridge to add to my flock.

Take Care All,
Dan

#29321 - 04/07/09 06:55 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Have been having computer problems, sorry I have been slow responding.

Very nice lacing on the dark birds, nice "Brahma tilt" on top line.

I have 2 pullets in the blue/gold pen that I kept because of type that are more pencilled with a dark laced edge. They may well produce something not too far from a blue partridge. I will try to get a picture.

#29322 - 04/17/09 06:51 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Just brought off my first hatch this week. Got 30- 35 silver, and 50-60 blue/gold pen chicks. I was suprised by a few clean legged chicks from the blue/gold pen.
Dan,did you want some b/g eggs this year, or wait for splash.

#29323 - 04/19/09 12:03 PM Re: Brahma project
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Just wondering on your blue gold chicks, did you notice any pattern or anything as far as leg feathering and color or comb?

#29324 - 04/20/09 04:41 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Moo,
To tell you the truth, have not handled the chicks that much yet. From hatcher to brooder, a then Marek's innoculations. Did notice while giving shots a few combs that look non pea, cushion maybe (which is what the male has). Will try to pay attention when I move them to the big brooder (in the coop) in a couple weeks. If I have the main computer working I will try to get some photos posted.

#29325 - 04/23/09 03:54 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I have been so long in posting a reply. This time of year it is next to impossible to get indoors and sit down at the computer.

Big Medicine, I will hold out for some eggs from some splash laced gold birds, if that is an option. I lost my blue gene once already because I lost track of it behind the dominant white. If I could start with splash birds it would really simplify things. Thanks for thinking of me.

Dan

#29326 - 05/04/09 03:27 PM Re: Brahma project
Choc Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: England
Big Medicine, Dan P, WoW!!!! How have I only just seen this thread???

Well done, your projects and dedication make me very excited and inspired about my own projects. Sometimes you need a boost and this is just the ticket. No doubt there have been some trying times along the way. One of my projects was wiped out back to square 1 last year after a friend unfortunately lost 2 males. A stoat put me back a year with a different project, and a dog attack at my firend's house nearly put paid to another (fortunately there was another male separate).

These photos are a great credit to you both. Wonderful to see!!

Page 5 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69