Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29327 - 05/06/09 05:08 PM Re: Brahma project
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
WOW..just WOW..you guys are so cool..a small time guy like me can only dream about doing what you do..keep the good work on..

#29328 - 05/13/09 07:29 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Choc,
Thank you, your post brings up a concern of mine. The concentration of all my birds in one place, in one coop in fact. Hopefully I will produce enough quality birds this year to get some folks started in them, insurance against some potential catastrophic event.

Nicamarvin, as stated above I am a one coop operation here. I don't think it is a matter of size, although additional coop space would be fantastic. In my case I think persistance or maybe bullheadedness is the key factor.

#29329 - 05/18/09 07:52 AM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Choc, thank you! I am glad this thread gave you a boost – it has certainly reignited my interest. Like Big Medicine I too have been a bit concerned of late that I am making a mistake in having ‘all my eggs in one basket.’ At my partner’s insistence I did finally build another coop to split the flock in two as a partial insurance measure against a catastrophe. I think Big Medicine has the right idea about getting these birds in the hands of other breeders. I am hatching many eggs this spring with that very intent.

Nicamarvin, I’m a dreamer. My head is always about ten years ahead of my hands - and my pocketbook. It is the dream that keeps this project going for me. So, keep dreaming – a little bullheadedness helps a lot too!

Big Medicine, prior to stumbling upon this thread I always kept a large flock with two separate lines as a safeguard against inbreeding depression – I hatch a few hundred chicks each year and cull to about fifty breeders (many unavoidably lacking in type because I am trying to maintain such a large gene pool). As I mentioned earlier, I am quite relieved to discover this thread as your birds are an additional ‘genetic’ insurance policy for my flock. You have freed me up to cull a bit more ruthlessly and enjoy my flock a bit more. Like choc and nicamarvin, I too find your birds to be an inspiration – particularly those typey silver-laced birds (they approach in type those laced Brahmas that are in my head but not yet in my coop.) Good job!

Dan

#29330 - 05/18/09 08:04 AM Re: Brahma project
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I was just wondering about Brahmas. Since it seems that they have tons of colors in Holland do they have laced or is this just an 'American' project?

#29331 - 05/19/09 07:39 AM Re: Brahma project
Sigi Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Holland
I just pointed the Dutch Brahmaclub on this subject last month.
We don't have lots of colours and absolutely not the laced ones, they are wonderfull! So an American Project and I'm sure there are breeders who will ask for eggs lol

#29332 - 05/19/09 09:08 AM Re: Brahma project
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
By lots of colors I mean variations like partridge, blue buff columbian, and all that. We mainly have the 3 popular colors here-light, dark, and buff.

#29333 - 05/19/09 06:22 PM Re: Brahma project
Sigi Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Holland
OK I understand, here are also non standard colours.
In the standard are: white black columbian (new name), white blue columbian, buff black columbian, buff blue columbian, partridge, silver pencilled, blue silver pencilled, birchen and black accepted in large.
There are as non standard on large: even coloured blue, black mottled, blue mottled, cuckoo, white.
Black, black mottled, blue, blue mottled and cuckoo are made here years ago. The blacks were neglected by the standard commission so they went to Germany and Belgium where they were accepted. We don't do acceptances anymore because we're a kind of notorious because most new colours are made here and The Dinosaur Establishment doesn't like us for that, lol.
I meant, we've no nice patterns like laced.

Bantams as extra blue partridge. On the last acceptence they also were ok with lavender partridge. Those come from Switserland originally. Bad birds here, no distinct multiple lacing anymore.

#29334 - 05/20/09 01:03 AM Re: Brahma project
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Nevertheless those isabel/lavender partridges are beautiful!

#29335 - 05/20/09 06:20 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
I recieved correspondance asking to post pictures of my birds on a German website. They were well recieved, apparently similar birds were shown at the 2006 Erfurt show.

On a website from down under that Ruff linked to this thread, a judge stated he saw as good as laced Brahmas at the Brahma show at Yass in June of 2008.

If anyone can confirm, or better yet has pictures, I would love to see how mine compare.

#29336 - 05/20/09 11:42 PM Re: Brahma project
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
i wouldn't bet on the aussie ones too much as i have not yet seen any photos of them. your level would be in the uk and europe.

it is hard to judge birds by photos alone.

this is a massive crossbred brahma from a friends place, earlier this year in england. and he is only a chicken. he was taller than the magnificent cochins i saw there.

k

Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69