Page 9 of 20 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29357 - 06/13/09 04:22 PM Re: Brahma project
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Quote:

Got a pretty good reality check a few days ago. Here I was feeling pretty good about these birds, like maybe I had accomplished something. That was until I went to the Southern Ohio Poultry Show, and got an eye full of how truelly massive a Brahma can get. You could've played chess on their backs.(or checkers in my case) I still have a ways to go. [/QB]
Was just wanting to state, that breeders who have those massive Brahmas breed for the size and standard. You are using production birds in order to maintain the egg production. The massive Brahmas that you saw will undoubtedly have eggs few and far between.

#29358 - 06/13/09 04:39 PM Re: Brahma project
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
It would be nice if yall could introduce some columbian brahmas like light or buff from a show breeder to try to bring up size while maintaining color and egg production. Maybe take a couple hens and put them with a nice show rooster then take the best overall birds from that (type, color, size, egg production) and mate those back to a show bird one more time. After that breed those bigger birds into your flock and you should be set, It would speed it up a couple generations as far as type.

#29359 - 06/13/09 04:43 PM Re: Brahma project
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Yes, I do agree with you. His line of chickens are more productive and have that utility trait, but I must say that they are very good looking and have nice size too.

#29360 - 06/16/09 01:07 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Dan,
as far as culls, as soon as a undesireable trait is apparent, I make that bird available for someone else to feed. These are always cosmetic faults, In the blue laced pen , lack of good leg feathering , I hold on a little longer for comb .

Comb has not been an issue in the siver lace line in quite a while, still see a sign of vulture hock occasionally, lack of proper color in either line

I did not buy any birds at the Southern Ohio show. After talking to the breeder, as Jrsygntbrdr1 states, the rate of lay of these behemoths makes me question the trade off.

Jrsygntbrdr1,
actually , the parent stock of my birds are from show lines, with the exception of the BLRW. The Brahma blood I used is known as a good laying line for show stock.

moo, that is probabley the route I will attempt.

#29361 - 06/16/09 04:43 PM Re: Brahma project
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Quote:

Jrsygntbrdr1, actually, the parent stock of my birds are from show lines, with the exception of the BLRW. The Brahma blood I used is known as a good laying line for show stock.
I had a feeling one of the Cornish was at least from show bloodlines. You don't get that massive head from just any hatchery.

#29362 - 07/26/09 01:13 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Kind of took inventory of my young stock today. They are all running together. So this morning before I let them out, I sorted out all the silver laced pullets (about 60) put them in the outside run. Looked them over pretty good, took some pictures, then ran them out in the yard. Repeated the process with red pullets(30+-),red cockerels(25+-),and silver laced cockerels(40+-)which left about 20 little silver laced that I left inside.

At this age (mostly april and may hatches) I am happy with my silver laced pullets, very consistent, uniform in color and type, in as much as they show at this age.

Now the silver males always concern me at this age. They pretty uniformly look like crap, black necked, gangly, Icabod Crane looking goofs. Makes me wonder if I have unintentionally developed a pullet breeding line. It always looks like a lost cause, till they grow out.

The red chicks are all over the place. Combs range from pea, to rose, to small flat cushion, even a single comb. Some of the cushion combs have a break about 3/4 way up, a small line of feather and then the remaining 1/4 of comb.

Leg feathering varied greatly in the red chicks as well. As stated earlier, there were some compleatly clean legged chicks, most feathered down the outer toe, and a few had their middle toe feathered. Does not appear to be any trend between comb and leg feathering, or color for that matter.

Color wise, again all over the place, about have to post the photos, (which I can`t untill I get the big computer running). One thing I found interesting was 4 red columbian type chicks,3 male, 1 female, all blue phase, none black.

I`m happy with the sex ratio, more pullets than cockerels.

On a side note, I traded some young silver laced for a couple splash blue columbian Brahma pullets this weekend. I figure if I do get some huge lights to increase size on my silver laced, I might as well make it interesting.

#29363 - 07/26/09 03:51 PM Re: Brahma project
Black Clownfish Offline
Chick

Loc: Alaska
Dan P and big medicine you guys have amazing birds! It's crazy how people just come out of nowhere with such awesome colors. I've never really liked brahams but that lacing sure adds some pizzaz.

#29364 - 07/27/09 11:03 AM Re: Brahma project
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
yeah...keep the good work guys...we are all interested in your work... laugh

#29365 - 07/28/09 06:55 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

I think I found a back way to post pictures on the old laptop. The Silver Laced pullets

#29366 - 07/28/09 06:59 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Page 9 of 20 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69