Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#29297 - 03/21/09 11:21 AM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Giving credit where it is due, I would like to acknowledge the breeders whose bloodlines where instrumental in the development of these birds.
Roland Doer -Silver Laced Cochin
the late Lewis Strait - White Cornish
the late Bill Bowman - Light Brahma
Bill Mayer -Light Brahma

#29298 - 03/22/09 06:52 PM Re: Brahma project
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
moo,
I believe what helped the type, is that I did not stray too far from the Brahma family tree. The original pullet looked somewhat like a short, stout,primitive Brahma. Hence the idea. The most common school of thought has the Brahma origin as a cross of Cochin and Malay. You will also find Malay in the parent stock of Cornish as well. So what I did ,in essence, was accidently simulate the origin of Brahmas, using a shorter, stockier cousin. Plus, the luxery of having modern Brahmas to cross to helped immensely.

#29299 - 03/23/09 08:34 AM Re: Brahma project
KS Waterfowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Indiana
WOW WOW WOW!!! These are awesome looking birds. I have been trying to breed largefowl dark brahmas for the last few years but only hatched a minimal amount of offspring and then about midwinter, I lost my male. I now have two dark hens and a light/dark cross hen with no male to breed them with. I have tossed around the idea of using a silverlaced wyandotte male because I know where one is located that would be easy to get to. I asked a couple of brahma breeders about a male, but they don't have anything not in a breeding pen for the year. (Which I understand considering what they eat.) Here in Indiana there are a few breeders of brahmas, but since Mr. Bowman passed away his birds as well as other largefowl brahmas have been hard to locate. Some of my original stock came from a Kolzac (sp? I believe) but I've not seen him since then, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time for those. I've also thought about using a lt. male but I already have the light/dark cross and didn't want to have a whole bunch of those running around here.
You have beautiful birds you should be very proud of them. Wish there were some of those around some of the indiana shows.
Jason

#29300 - 03/24/09 10:39 AM Re: Brahma project
Moo Online   content
Flock Leader

Loc: Washington
Since you have gotten gold birds from them and I think you said something about partridge, that would be a good side project. When I had dark brahmas a few years back I tried to make partridge brahmas by using a partridge rock cock on dark brahma hens and I got a trio of chicks, I sold the pair to a friend that wanted to work with them and gave the other hen to a friend that wanted her for a pet. The pair got killed and the other hen was bred with a gold laced cochin x dark cornish cross and had some amazing chicks that look like a partridge brahma.
Blue laced red would look awesome too.

#29301 - 03/24/09 02:46 PM Re: Brahma project
Sonoran Silkies Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
They are STUNNING!!!

#29302 - 03/24/09 05:06 PM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am new to this forum. A friend recommended that I reply to this thread as I have been working on a very similar project. Big Medicine, your silver-laced birds look amazing. You have done an awesome job establishing a nice Brahma type. I would very much like to buy some eggs from you when you have some available.

Below are pictures of my birds, all are about eight months old at the time of the photo except for the angry looking little cockerel who I think is about 5 months old.

I am very excited to find another breeder working on such a similar color variety of LF Brahma. When I started my project almost ten years ago my goal was to create one of my favorite color patterns in one of my favorite breeds. Now I am very close to having large fowl buff-laced Brahmas. When I began this project there were no heavy breed buff-laced birds to be found, so I started from scratch with buff and dark brahmas, golden laced cochins, golden-laced wyandottes, a blue Wyandotte/dark Brahma cross, white laced red Cornish, and a dominant white buff columbian Ameraucana hen. From the beginning I created and maintained two relatively unrelated lines so that Id always have an outcross if I needed it. Unfortunately these lines no longer carry the blue gene which they should so the lacing looks a bit dirty. Big Medicine, when you have some blue or splash laced golds or reds Id be interested in obtaining some from you to reintroduce the blue gene.

Thanks for lifting my spirits Big Medicine, and I hope everyone else enjoys the pictures.

All the best,

Dan

[img]http://home.centurytel.net/pfxs/[/img]

#29303 - 03/24/09 05:11 PM Re: Brahma project
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Dan, I can't see any pictures?!

I can't WAIT to see these!

#29304 - 03/24/09 05:51 PM Re: Brahma project
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Dan, the link you've inserted into your message doesn't work. When I click on it, it give an Untitled Document error.

#29305 - 03/24/09 06:15 PM Re: Brahma project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Folks,
I've had some trouble posting my pictures. I think (I'm hoping) I've posted them now. These pictures are all of very young birds - approximately 5 to 8 months old. Like Big Medicine I do produce a few golden-laced birds as well, but have no pictures of them to share at the moment.
Dan

#29306 - 03/24/09 09:12 PM Re: Brahma project
Tim J. Offline
Feather

Loc: Washington
Dan P,
I appreciate your work and dedication to your project. You and Bigmedicine have done some truly amazing work. Some people believe we should only focus upon what is in the standard now. I disagree and congratulate you both. The work you have shown is very commendable especially with the current shortfall of dedicated breeders in the poultry hobby.
Thank you
Tim

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69