Topic Options
#29886 - 12/28/02 01:53 PM Clipping Toenails For Breeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am wondering if any of you Breeders out there clip toenails before putting your hens and roosters together for fertile eggs. Thanks in advance for all responses.

#29887 - 12/28/02 03:26 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Inside nails (toes) on males are usually trimmed at day of age. The secret to not having losts of damage is to not let males run with the females except during the breeding pens. Introduce males about 2 to 3 weeks prior to breeding season. Run fertility test before making first hatch (set eggs for 10 days and break them out). Don't use pullets less than 24 weeks old as breeders because they usually do not have good fertility nor embryo/chick viability.

#29888 - 12/29/02 01:47 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I trim all my males' toenails before breeding. I also trim their beaks.

Also, I would invest in a candler. This way you don't have to waste your first fertile eggs by "breaking them out." If you need more info on candling just ask or search the web.

#29889 - 12/30/02 09:57 AM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
I like the idea of trimming the rooster nails if it does in fact cut down on the damage to the hens. I'm finding that those hens that become the "favourites" sure do take a beating. All my older araucanas had to be seperated from the main flock (with 2 roosters) because they were going bald and the bald areas were develioping deep scratched and rips from the rooster's nails. Then I thought I was going to loose my best ameraucana pullet as it's side got ripped completely open. Even now that it's partially healed, the bird is still missing a 1.5" X 1.5" chunk of skin on it's side. Blows me away that it didn't get infected, and also blows me away that she didn't stop laying her extra large deep blue eggs while healing.

As for breaking open incubated eggs, I too feel candelling is a more efficient route. Or simply check for fertility prior to incubating at all via the methods shared in other threads here.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#29890 - 12/30/02 12:14 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Candeling is probably easier for the beginner!
Candeling is fine but breaking out eggs will tell much more that the shadows one sees on the shells. Breakouts are especially important post-hatch to see why the individual chicks did not hatch. Then it is important to know the various malpositions of embryos as they too indicate different types of problems. There have been several papers written on this subject over the years. Most commercial hatcheries do regular breakouts as part of their qulaity assurance information gathering process.

#29891 - 12/30/02 10:18 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
>>>>>Breakouts are especially important post-hatch to see why the individual chicks did not hatch.

I couldn't agree more, as unappealing the task is, I always break open the non hatching eggs and try to uncover the reason for not hatching. While I'm still too inexperienced to understand all the clues, I figure over time that the patterns will start to teach me things and guide future selections.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#29892 - 01/03/03 02:53 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

one thing aout breaking bad eggs- if you candle them before breaking then you will learn what a 14 day dead in shell looks like and then you can toss it at 14 instead of leaving it to fester in the incubator. much nicer than cleaning up an exploded egg

#29893 - 01/03/03 06:48 PM Re: Clipping Toenails For Breeding
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Interesting point about candling eggs. I have been candling 10-day eggs for 25 or 30 years to remove early and middle deads, clears (infertles or very early deads) and contaminated eggs. I have had ZERO exploders by following this practice in EVERY setting.
It is a little extra work but results in much lower contamination in the cabinets not to mention the newly hatched chicks.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69