Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#30175 - 07/09/08 09:42 AM Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
:rolleyes: I have not found any on the web . There are new breeds of dogs being developed continuously like it or not. It would be nice if we could plan a breeding program on paper from past experience of others as we do here , because with dogs "I" can not eat my mistakes and culls. eek
Does anyone know of such a forum ?
confused please let me know
seedyseeds@hotmail.com

#30176 - 07/09/08 10:59 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I'm going to allow this thread to stay for a short while. Therefore, if any of you have information for this member, please provide it before the thread is deleted, since it's a non-poultry realted thread.

#30177 - 07/09/08 12:20 PM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
The general rules for breeding applies to most animals and birds and is universal.Depending on what it is you are working on,much can be substituted.Genetics are different but even with that there are some similar ones.I notice mice,cattle,horses,dogs,cats,etc.;having dilute color genes among others.In some parts of the world dog cats and rats are considered good food.

#30178 - 07/09/08 01:58 PM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
I found Littles 'The Inheritance of Coat Colour in the Dog' to be a useful book.
Silver Grey Weimaroodles, anyone?

#30179 - 07/10/08 01:33 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Hi,

These guys were smart enough to pick the dog genetics calcuator I developed with help of dutch genetics expert Marjolein Roosendaal:

http://www.brillwood.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2908

Maybe they can help.

Other dog genetics websites:

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogcolors.html

http://www.mastamariner.com/border_collie_colours_page-02.html

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/ColorGen.html

http://www.leabashiba.com/German.Shepherd.Dog.coat.colours.htm

#30180 - 07/10/08 05:40 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Norwegian Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Norway
Henk;

Can't seem to get the last link to work?

#30181 - 07/10/08 06:58 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
What browser do you have?
It is not the most accurate page anyway... wink

#30182 - 07/10/08 08:12 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
The last link works fine for me.

#30183 - 07/10/08 09:23 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
Thank you for your help. I was wondering more about when crossing a Saint Bernard with a German shepard you get a dog taller than either parent a dog that looks like a Great Dane almost . But when you cross a Saint Bernard with a Great Dane you get a slimmer Saint Bernard type. so how would I breed the largest dog in the world if I wanted to ? confused

#30184 - 07/10/08 11:30 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Mountaintop Chicken Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
It seems there would be some inherent problems with breeding "the largest dog in the world" A few thoughts:

1. Giant breeds have shorter lifespans as it is. Which is very sad for the owners who keep and love them.

2. There are already some massive breeds out there - how much larger would you want to go?

3. There is so much involved in breeding dogs with sound structure - hips, elbows, etc. Very good breeders worry a great deal about this. If you increased size, you would have to do that while still maintaining a sound structure. Also, the best breeders of the dogs you would want to use as a foundation probably wouldn't want to sell you intact dogs, since most really good breeders who are concerned about their breed require contracts that prevent/limit/put conditions on breeding.

4. As you said, with dogs you can't eat the culls. Given the amount of unwanted and homeless dogs out there, dog breeding is very different from breeding chickens. Could you find homes for all of the dogs you produce while trying to get the end result you want? What would be the selling point/market?

Why not find a massive and already existing breed to dedicate yourself to? I bet there are breed forums for specific massive breeds where you could learn a lot about that particular breed, and get good info from breeders.

It's an interesting question to speculate about though - I have no idea how you'd go about breeding a dog like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69