Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#30195 - 08/05/08 03:02 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Norwegian Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Norway
Quote:
I did find in a P.B.S. program on dog genetics that a genetist in Russia was asked by fur farmers to help them breed a tamer strain of foxes .
Actually, it was a scientific breeding program that went over a number years to see what selection for "tameness" would result in. The issue of course, was early domestication of dogs.

See link (Pdf): An Experiment on Fox Domestication

and here: Early Canid Domestication:

#30196 - 08/07/08 12:13 PM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
The Irish Wolfhound was the tallest breed for years at 36 vinches high at the shoulder . however the tallest living dog is a Great Dane at 42 inches at the shoulder. eek thank you all for your help . laugh

#30197 - 09/05/08 08:47 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

As far as having enough breeds already and so many in shelters destroyed, they have been saying that for years, decades even; and there are many more breeds today than there were in 1970 when I wanted to start this project. Five million dogs a year are destroyed because of behavior problems. They picked the wrong dog for the wrong family. Dalmations have pretty spots, but they need to run 10 miles a day (not an apartment dog). If you can stop me, I would not be worth anything as a breeder anyway. If I could get an animal from a shelter that was in breedable condition and with papers when applicable, I would at least consider it.

I am looking for a male calico cat (only 1% of calico cats are male ). I have found 15 in different shelters and all refused to sell me one unless it was sterilized. "If I cannot breed them, I do not need them." That is my motto. I want progress from each generation toward a better breed, NOT JUST A PET!

I believe I could outdo Louis Dobberman in breeding the supper dog. If I had not been discouraged by people (including experts) such as Dr. Nixon, a world renouned geneticist in the 1980's, I may have already done so.

Thank you anyways, and thank you for all your help.

#30198 - 09/06/08 01:30 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Calico cat males are XXY. You probably know that.
That's not a healthy chromosome composition.

#30199 - 09/11/08 10:09 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

They usually are XXY but there is also a "false male calico " that is auburn , orange and white that is not .

#30200 - 10/10/08 10:01 AM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Actually even if XXY male calicoes are defective there are many breeds that could be called defective in cats : rag dolls , twisty cats . Even Siamese cats had crossed eyes and a kinked tail in the beginning . In the process of eliminating these defects they developed : Himalayan , Tonkenese, and Russian blue cats as a by product :rolleyes: . Besides for pure research purchases I would like to see if the very rare male calico could breed true .

#30201 - 10/10/08 08:17 PM Re: Dog genetics forum?something like this
John Bro Offline
New Egg

Loc: Canada
There is a difference between gross chromosomal abnormalities (such as an extra x chromosome, as in an xxy "male") and a homozygous recessive that has been selected for and eventually fixed (such as the other examples you give). An xxy male will not breed true - it isn't really even a true male.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69