Topic Options
#3106 - 01/12/03 01:57 PM Egg Quality
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any brown egg laying breeds that are known to lay a higher quality egg than some of the other brown egg layers? I have new hamps, they are real good layers, although they tend to drop quite a few eggs with meat spots. I wonder if this is a genetic thing, or prehaps the way I feed them. They get ground mash consisting of 75% corn & 25% oats with a layer concentrate mixed in to make it about 16%. They also get a little bit of scratch grains (50% wheat 50% oats) about as much as they will eat in 5 minutes every morning. Also free chioce grit & oyster shells.

#3107 - 01/12/03 02:32 PM Re: Egg Quality
Anonymous
Unregistered

Were are the meat spots?And (sorry when i ask you this)what do you mean by meat spots confused

#3108 - 01/12/03 06:12 PM Re: Egg Quality
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
From everything I've read, I gather that the problem with blood spots or meat spots can either be related to genetics OR it can simply be a fluke with a new layer (or a layer coming out of molt and that sort of thing). I don't have any problems with blood spots beyond the first few weeks of a bird starting to lay and all of mine are brown egg layers of various breeds. I've never had anything but brown egg layers and I can only recall having one hen that laid eggs with a blood spot every single time throughout adulthood. I just made sure I never bred her. I do get the occasional blood spot from a mature hen, but nothing consistent. I'd say with my usage I probably see a tiny one about once out of every 3 dozen eggs or so. I don't think it's so much breed specific as the specific genetics for your individual hens. Are you finding it a lot?

Susie

#3109 - 01/13/03 03:47 AM Re: Egg Quality
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Brown egg layers tend to have more blood/meat spots than Leghorns. Breeding companies have been selecting against this occurance all my life and they have reduced the incidence. Standard bred fowl are not selected for this reduction of occurance but to look nice so you are most likely dealing with a basically unselected population.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn