Topic Options
#33200 - 04/18/08 09:56 AM Recessive White
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing that has puzzled me over the years is that when I have colored birds that carry recessive white, the chicks run disproportionally high to recessive white. Mating two colored birds that carry recessive white should theoretically produce about 25 percent white chicks. Almost always it is one-third to one-half in my experience, and this goes back 15-20 years. Can anyone offer an explanation?

#33201 - 04/18/08 11:31 AM Re: Recessive White
Choc Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: England
It's just chance in my view - can I ask if the coloured birds display orange or lemon hackles?

thanks, choc

#33202 - 04/18/08 01:04 PM Re: Recessive White
Anonymous
Unregistered

No orange or lemon, but those that hatch from varieties that carry the s gene (sex linked gold or wild type) tend to be brassy, especially the males. This has occurred too often over too many years to be strictly chance. If I may postulate I suspect this gene is somehow related to a more active/volatile sperm.

#33203 - 04/18/08 04:53 PM Re: Recessive White
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
Just the opposite from my experience & that of friends. In Aust cockerel breeder Partridge Wyandotte carry Recessive White, expected segregation as you say 25%, actual about 7%,just luck. I had a line of Black Wyandottes, also carrying c, number of white chicks produced was <1%,again just luck.

#33204 - 04/19/08 12:58 PM Re: Recessive White
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blackdotte, is it possible that only one or a few of the Wyandotte females carried c? My experience is with pair and trio matings with Ameraucana bantams that were E>R at the e-locus.

#33205 - 04/19/08 03:01 PM Re: Recessive White
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
Possibly in the Blacks which are ER & eb, but c is widespread in the Partridge. Some matings have given no whites in some years and greater (80% on one rare occasion) numbers in other years from the same birds.

#33206 - 04/19/08 03:52 PM Re: Recessive White
Choc Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: England
In British Partridge Wyandottes - some breeders have "proved" beyond question in their view that the lemon hackles are due to recessive white. But others greatly question it and have never had whites coming out of their lemon hackled lines that also breed orange hackles.

mau, blackdotte, myself and others have bred orange hackled birds to white birds (c) and produced 0% lemon hackles.

I'm not saying that one dose of recessive white doesn't produce lemon hackles in partridge lines, but maybe it necessitates the lack of any red enhancing genes to have effect?

choc

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69