Topic Options
#33728 - 09/29/03 06:29 PM heritage poultry
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Its gonna rain for 4 more days, we need some topics!!

What are heritage fowl? how should we preserve them, should we bother? Are there really any left to preserve?

#33729 - 09/30/03 04:58 PM Re: heritage poultry
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
It seems to me that rare, endangered, and heritage are quite different terms that too often are blurred together. Some very common breeds in other parts of the world are rare in North America. Looking at the percentage of total chickens in the world, all pure breeds of chicken could be considered rare. The lamona appears to be the most endangered breed, since, so I have heard, the owner of the only remaining flock isn't willing to share. The lamonas were very recently developed (less than 60 years ago) at an experimental station, so they shouldn't qualify as a heritage breed. Plymouth rocks and Rhode Island Reds are two North American heritage breeds that are not rare, but have more right to the term heritage than most any other breed I know.

There you go, Rob, but it hasn't been raining much up here yet. Frost warnings, however.

#33730 - 09/30/03 05:20 PM Re: heritage poultry
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks John; it didnt rain much today, so wet its hard to do much tho.
I agree that rare, endangered and heritage are seperate but I suppose 1 breed could be all! I think I tend to consider rare as being hard to come by, endangered as worse off than rare, like, tiny gene pool. Heritage could be loosely used on any breed which was brought to this country and used in developing the American breeds and the American breeds themselves. Once you pass 1990 it seems to lose some meaning to me.

Another thought, preservation does not mean indiscriminate matings in large numbers of a breed with the intent of merely making more birds.( the multiplier) I would consider preservation the planned breeding(in any numbers) of the animal to a prescribed standard. Not actually striving for show quality but to a higher standard nontheless.

When I look at and read about some breeds I do wonder why they are with us! The Lamona being one, Orloffs could be another.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69