Topic Options
#33745 - 09/05/03 07:41 PM Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have three 2 month old D'Uccles, two of witch already have spotts on all of the feathers that have come in this far. The other one, a male, has not one spott and that is what I'm used to. Normaly my Mille fluer d'uccles aren't at their prime until 5 years of age. Is this normal or are my little birds with spotts normal?

thanks Hybrid

#33746 - 09/06/03 01:41 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are the spotted (spangled) ones pullets? They tend to show their spangles earlier. I also have some two month old milles fleurs and it is quite apparent that I have 2 cockerels and 5 pullets with the pullets showing more evidence of spangling. One of the cockerels does show some spangling while the other does not. The one that does not is also darker. My males tend not to show their mature colours till they are two years old. Some will hold their colour longer than others (become whiter - especially hens). I have a 9 yr. old cock that looks pretty much the same as when he was two and is in fact the "sire" of the hatch. Tom

#33747 - 09/06/03 07:13 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I've been told that Anacona breeders have to breed two lines to exhibit both older and younger birds. If they are to standard as pullets and cockerals they have too much white as adults. So they have to breed for either adults or younger birds. There are probably modifiers that you can breed for to get what you want when you want it. You may have a problem breeding birds that look like what you want as younger birds, and stays that way as they age. Mottling doesn't seem to work that way.

#33748 - 09/06/03 08:33 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

I belive one of them is a female, and since the other one has more feathering one its shanks it is most likely a male. Its really hard to get a good Mille fluer D'Uccle!

#33749 - 09/06/03 09:26 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Tell me! I was able to get some MilleFleur Dutch Bantams from Holland, and now-- selecting from the 5th generation, learning about the pattern is really intriguing. I will not show or sell any birds until I am reasonably sure they are good Dutch type and can produce the right pattern. My main guide is the book "Belgian Bantams"--Veronica Mayhew, England. LOTs of colored pictures (historic prints, beautiful painting reproductions)and many varieties of Belgians, and enough about MilleFleur to be a good primer! I am still looking for Dutch TYPE first, and just watch the pattern develop (2 years minimum--at least one complete moult). There is some variation in down color at hatch, and I am making notes to see if there is correlation to color at maturity.

Such wonderful temperament, I enjoy working with them! CJR

#33750 - 09/06/03 10:24 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes CJR. What I too enjoy most about the d'Uccles are their tempermants. I think what you will find regarding the down colour is you will see two types of colouring in the feathering. Ones that are golden buff and others that are more reddish or orange. What I use as the standard to strive towards is a drawing by Schilling. What beautiful birds! Something that you will find is you will need two lines. One line that produces good males and one for females. I think if you find modifiers in them it will be whether they hold their colouring after molting. Not that they will get more white feathers but that the size of their white spangles keep their size. I like to keep any nice type hen that has small spangling as a pullet. What I wonder about the milles fleur colour pattern is: are there genetic modifiers that influence the sharpness or distinctiveness of the pattern? The crispness of the inverted black vee and the sharpness of the white spangles absent of any black bleeding?

#33751 - 09/06/03 10:26 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

CJR where did you get that book "Belgian Bantams"?
I would like to get a copy. Thanks Tom.

#33752 - 09/06/03 10:14 PM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I did find one article online some time ago with some good points on breeding Speckled Sussex, with references to Millefleurs (both are tri-coloured varieties).

"Standard requirements of Speckled Sussex by A. O. Schilling"

This article covers issues like:
  • Excessive white in wings/tail
  • Shade of ground colour (ie pale/dark)
  • Relationship between heavy black hackle striping in males to mossy/stippling in ground colour of hens
  • Relationship between feather undercolour to surface colour
  • Too large black spangling on the breast of males (ie black bars in mottling)
  • Relationship between lemon colour in male saddle & hackles to washed out or grayish buff ground colour in hens
  • Relationship between shaftiness in ground colour of hens to lemon colour in hackles of males
  • The desirability of little mottling in cockerels for future use as show roosters
  • The desirability of small white-tipping in pullets for future use as exhibition birds

#33753 - 09/07/03 05:05 AM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you tell the males from the females? It is driving me nuts! I went to a auction and got 8 chicks about 2 weeks old for $o.90 each, I gave away 5 and still have 3 they all look the same size, and have the same comb development, and the feet and shanks look the same to me. One mille has moremarkings and the other two have hardly any. Also only one has muffs and a beard. I only want to keep the girls because i already have a adorable little rooster. Thanks smile

#33754 - 09/07/03 12:10 PM Re: Mille Fluer D'Uccle feathering
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
duccleman, Write to Veronica Mayhew, Trewena, Woodcote nr Reading, RG OPP, England, UK.

She will send you a catalog. I phone her when I want something. Direct dial, from the U.S., her number is:
011-44-(1491) 680743. She bills me, but we have met in England/Holland at Shows for a number of years, where I always buy books and she mails them back for me.

The Belgian book is really nice. (32 pages of color illustrations and other illus. 90 pages of text and B/w illus. comes in both paper back and hardback editions.)
We soon will have a new book for Dutch Bantams, being published in Holland, in an English Edition.

CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box