Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35861 - 09/29/03 06:34 PM New breeds?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Is there any good reason to try and make a new breed of chicken, duck or goose? Is just working towards an idea good enuff reason?

#35862 - 09/29/03 07:22 PM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think breeding to reach a goal or idea is excellent, and if it catches on with other fanciers, all the more to you. They are domesticated animal. By definition (domestication: To adopt or make fit for domestic use or life.) you should try to make your chickens fit you, whether it is for better egg production, better meat quality or amount, or purely fancy.

#35863 - 09/30/03 05:41 AM Re: New breeds?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
My opinion is that preservation is needed, but you shouldn't let it stiffle creativity. If no one bred something different we wouldn't have the varieties that we have now. The time for creating new styles isn't over, and should be easier with a better understanding of genetics. I look at it as slow sculpture. You shape something over generations.

#35864 - 09/30/03 07:51 AM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My sister wanted to make a new breed out of every mutt chicken. So when she was active in the poultry here, we had a bazillion breeding programs ongoing and I was going broke building pens. Now, I'm just focusing on the the layer line and Sandra likes to set up breeding pens with male X and females Y and Z to see what results. Not really what you would call an organized breeding effort. But we still have our layer line that we are working on.

I see a point to our layer line project. We are selecting for specific traits that one doesn't find easily in other breeds. Our layer line is now essentially a line of small-bodied (usually rumpless) pullets / hens that lay a light blue egg that has superior strength. Some of our customers comment about having to wack the eggs on the pan too hard to get them to break.

My sister and I differ in basic philosophy in that every mutt chicken was potentially a new breed in her mind. On the other hand, I have to see a need that isn't being addressed or fulfilled by another breed before I consider the effort of developing a strain to be worthwhile.

I believe our line of layers will be popular some day. Genetically, the vast majority of their 'genome' is Leghorn. They look like Araucana (no ear tufts, but often rumpless) and are great layers of a strong egg. The males are meaty with large, broad breasts and bulbous legs. The females tend to be smaller but still lay a large egg.

For me, I have to see a need or I'm not much interested in making a new line or a new breed.

#35865 - 09/30/03 12:58 PM Re: New breeds?
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I think almost any reason would be good enough. There are people who would think silkies are totally useless, while others would never consider a rock or RIR, so there you go.

Another option would be introducing a new color, trait(beard, leg feathering, etc.) or pattern into an existing breed, and trying to get that accepted. It appears the more accepted colors and patterns, the higher potential for popularity of a breed.

#35866 - 09/30/03 12:59 PM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

At the moment, I can't think of a chicken breed that I would need that isn't out there.

A recent creation was the serama, but that had the use of being small enough to have as a house pet.

#35867 - 09/30/03 02:35 PM Re: New breeds?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I,m not working towards any new breed but am working on some color varieties. At one time I considered trying to make a mini goose. I thought of using the Roman tufted and the Pilgrim. I know there are some crested calls being done and there is some interest in a bantam runner.
Anyone read K.J Theodores article on Seramas in the current PP.? Kinda a eye opener.

#35868 - 09/30/03 02:51 PM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gah! My PP subscription ended this month and I have to renew. I'm not sure if I'll be getting it or not. I'd really like to see that article!

#35869 - 09/30/03 07:27 PM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob, what was that article about?

#35870 - 10/01/03 08:38 AM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm working towards a new breed because after I've looked at so many different breeds and couldn't find what I wanted so I had to make it. So I'm working on a bird that is very small, spotted and striped, crested and feather footed, and posibly clawed wings but that is near immposible. I want an addorable house chicken that is great for show. Something that would be incredibly hard to reproduce so only mine could be the original line. Something unique!

-Hybrid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69