Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#35871 - 10/01/03 10:16 AM Re: New breeds?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
M Man-- As a original importer and having bred the Serama for some time, she wanted to bring to light some of the health and genetic difficulties of the breed as she has observed. She has decidec that in good consience she will no longer offer any for sale. She has studied birds from all of the lines and determined they have some very real problems and defy good poultry health advice. ( I think they defy good poultry breeding). It just goes on to detail some of the genetic and health problems and the average person should probably not consider them at this point in their development.

#35872 - 10/01/03 10:41 AM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah. I did not know that she wasn't selling them anymore. I did know that there are a number of genetic problems with them. And they are a difficult breed in terms of propogantion as they don't really like hatching..

Interesting. I'll have to find that article and read it..

#35873 - 10/02/03 03:46 AM Re: New breeds?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the things i want to do is developed a rumpless bred with black skin, single comb, and that lays blue eggs. I want to make something simmilar to the Auracana, but without the ear things. The black skin and single come is because i like those traits. Blue eggs because it interesting. I dont want any leathal genes. Poor fertility doesnt bother me, but chicks dead 20 days into incubation I find upseting.

As long as you finish what you start there is nothing wrong with making a new breed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69