Topic Options
#36345 - 09/08/09 03:30 PM what is causing this barring?
Mau Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: United Kingdom
There is no mottling in any of my breeding birds so he can't have got it from a parent but this is a normal apparently healthy mottled cockerel has started to look slightly barred/cuckoo especially on the neck back and tail, but not quite like proper barring. The wings are just mottled. , What is going on? I think i remember seeing a picture in this forum which showed a barred mottled - is this something that can happen as a result of mottling?

#36346 - 09/09/09 06:35 AM Re: what is causing this barring?
Krys Offline
Feather

Loc: Minnesota
You bird does look interesting.

I don't know whether these pics will be of interest. These are a couple of my birds which are both mottled & barred. They are rapid feathering; I don't know whether this makes a difference. I Sorry about the pics I'm not good with a camera.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/Krys109uk/Mottledbarred.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of someone else's mottled & barred cochins.

I also have a couple of male which are mille fleur & barred; they look interesting, but have not got pics at present.

#36347 - 09/25/09 05:56 AM Re: what is causing this barring?
Lord Cluck Offline
Feather

Loc: United Kingdom
Here's a Pekin cockerel I bred this year that started life as a blue mottled, then began growing cuckoo mottled feathers, and finally moulted out into a hysterical blue/cuckoo mottled!

#36348 - 11/11/09 08:29 AM Re: what is causing this barring?
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
In 'Genetics of the Fowl', there are photos of Ancobars (developed from Barred Plymouth Rock x Anconas). The homozygous B/B mo/mo roosters have excessive amounts of white on them, but not the B/b+ mo/mo hens.

The following is a ER/e+ (or E/e+) B/B mo/mo cockerel, but unfortunately, with a eumelanin restrictor of adult ER plumage:

Chick down:

------------
Grower:
------------
Adult:

------------
Close-up:

*Note, he has partial mottling banding on him (ie like Silver Millefleur).
--------------
The following is a photo of his grandfather (ER/e+ Bl/bl+ mo/mo B/b+ s+/s+):

The following is his father:
(ER/e+ Bl/bl+ mo/mo B/b+ S/s+)

Here's a photo of columbian restricted ER/e+ lav silver B/b+ mo/mo rooster from the same breeding pen:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/KazJaps/thecoop/ER-lav-db-roo.jpg

Others were ER mottled cuckoo in phenotype, ie without columbian restriction.

The following is a e+/e+ Barred Blue Silver Columbian (actually - mo/mo Millefleur) rooster, from the same pen:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/KazJaps/thecoop/bbsm.jpg

This young black ER S cockerel (without B) shows the eumelanin restrictor that was segregating from this breeding pen (maybe a bit of spangling in this one):
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/KazJaps/thecoop/ER-sil-db-ckl.jpg

The following clean ER Black Mottled hen is another one from the same breeding pen:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/KazJaps/thecoop/blk_mottled.jpg
*Although one other Black Mottled pullet did show partial eumelanin restriction.

For some reason this eumelanin restrictor wasn't showing on ER chick down (ie no brownish tinges like Db). Probably Db was segregating, but maybe never homozygous? Co was showing on e+/e+ down - black tinge.

Unfortunately, I never did segregate a B/B mo/mo rooster without the ER eumelanin restrictor. But I have a feeling that my d'Uccles wouldn't have been like the Ancobars - ie probably just light-barred mottleds (in general, mottling quality was good on ER).

#36349 - 11/11/09 09:50 AM Re: what is causing this barring?
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I had a pullet that looked just like him a few years ago. She hatched out of either the dun pen or the whites. She looked like a normal barred chick (black with a white spot) and grew to be a very poorly barred pullet but after her first year she molted out to be a nice black. We used her for the barred wyandotte bantam project and all of her chicks turned out to have great barring (we mated her to a barred rock cull, too wide in body). We never had any others pop up, just her.

#36350 - 11/13/09 01:30 AM Re: what is causing this barring?
Sigi Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Holland
To the first post.
I've seen fake mottling and fake barring in blacks and black tailed.
Perhaps its due to a pigmentation problem during feather growth.
I've seen partial barring on main sickles of serama, that does not carry B at all. It looks different from normal barring. The spacing is wider between coloured and non coloured. Feathers can also be partial barred. No rule, tip even coloured, lower barred or the other way around. This mostly happens in youth feathers or feathers of the first true moult. After several moults it can disappear or stay the same, no rule again.
Sometimes the structure of the non-coloured parts in the feathers is different, the feather is narrower on that place or more ragged. I think this has to do with feather growth which causes colour differences bit similar as barred/cuckoo.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box