Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36613 - 08/17/02 01:34 PM Re: Blue Silkie Rooster and Rhode Island Red Hen
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Barnies and dunghies = barnyard and dung hill chickens or just plain mix breeds. To a game cocker any chicken other than a game is a dunghie, no matter its pedigree.

#36614 - 08/17/02 05:51 PM Re: Blue Silkie Rooster and Rhode Island Red Hen
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Without waiting to "see what you get" by crossing birds to get a setter larger than a Silkie, I wo uld recommend obtaining American Game Bantam hens! They are one of the best in the world, if you can find them. Dependable, but good layers in between sets--devoted, protective, they almost seem to "think" survival. When they set--nothing will disturb them (well, that has been my experience). Single combs, clean legs--I had BBRed and Spangled--great birds! CJR

#36615 - 08/19/02 05:08 AM Re: Blue Silkie Rooster and Rhode Island Red Hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have bred silkie roosters to sexlink hens and the offspring have been sexlinked by skin color. All the males had white skin and the females had black skin and flesh. All the females set and set like crazy but are not near as big as I expected. Much bigger than a silkie hen but 1/4 smaller than the sexlink hen. All lay somewhat small eggs, again bigger than the silkie but not as big as I expected.

#36616 - 08/19/02 09:40 AM Re: Blue Silkie Rooster and Rhode Island Red Hen
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Was it black sex linked hens (RIR x BR) or Red sex linked (Leghorn x RIR) hens that you bread the silkie rooster too?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69