Topic Options
#3940 - 07/26/02 07:33 PM winter feed for geese
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, Does anyone know how much feed to supplement geese with during the winter. They are out on pasture in long cold winters in Northern WI. How much of what/ per pound? Thanks!

#3941 - 07/28/02 03:54 AM Re: winter feed for geese
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
lala, this may not be the best answer you'll get, but here goes. I have 2 embden that I keep with my hen's, I mix my own feeds too much corn makes them fat. In winter 4lbs oats 2lbs corn 2lbs laying mash. My bird's are shut in alot because of snow so I allso will give a flake of hay and I will soak oats in water overnight and heat it in morning, add buttermilk,yogart or cottage cheese what ever dariy product I have on hand. I allso get dayold wheat bread and break up, anything to keep them busy and not fussing with each other. I mix cans of no salt veggies in to. And I will give a vit./elec in water a couple times a month. My diet is geared towards the hens but my geese are 3yrs and seem healthy. In my area it is hard to get waterfoul feed so I just do what I can.

#3942 - 07/28/02 02:40 PM Re: winter feed for geese
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, that does help! I'd pretty much planned to keep them outside, with free acess to indoor shelter. I was going to give them hay and now I think some laying mash, corn and oats. I had read about the danger of fat geese.... So do you feed them all they will eat in 30 minutes or something? With my chickens I usually give about 1/3 pound of feed per bird in winter. I supplement that with cracked corn/oats...maybe a total of 1/2 their daily ration. I am not sure how many pounds or cups per goose. I am going to winter over only 3 geese. Any other thoughts?
THANKS!

#3943 - 07/29/02 04:30 AM Re: winter feed for geese
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
lala I mix all that in a 5gal pal for 35 hens plus the geese and its fed free choice. I fill feeders in morning before work. I may give a 2lbs coffee can of corn before they roost at night, corn helps them make body heat. My laying hens & geese share a 25x20 pen, I tryed to put the geese in a 6x15 pen last winter and they were so unhappy being penned by themselves I put them back in with the chickens. But I'm still looking for a source of waterfowl feed. You might find better info under waterfowl.

#3944 - 07/31/02 04:12 PM Re: winter feed for geese
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Corn is cheap so Ill probably feed alot of it mixed with oats and layer pellets. About 1/2 pound per day per goose. I made a hay rack to feed some clover and alfalfa hay too. As with cattle and horses etc, they dont have to be kept in top condition for maintainance, but need extra nutrition when in production.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn