Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3964 - 07/19/02 08:22 PM Information over load
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow lots of usefull info. as i read i just keep coming up with more question my next one is as i read it sounds like a lot of people seperate their roosters from their hensis this something we should do and if so why confused

#3965 - 07/19/02 08:37 PM Re: Information over load
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
It kind of gives the hens some peace so they can concentrate on egg production for one reason. They wont get all beat up for show either. I put all my roos in 1 pen and they duke it out for a day until boss roo is determined.

#3966 - 07/20/02 06:36 AM Re: Information over load
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
It is certainly advisable to allow the hens a rest. I like to do it for several additional reasons. One male is pretty much like the males of any other species: they play favorites, particularly in a large flock. By rotating males, this minimizes that and contibutes to having all the females fertilized ( my individual breeder flocks have 10-12 hens and I trace lineage by the flock and not the male - ask rob about line breeding). It also means that if I hit a 'dud', I can find out fairly quickly and eliminate him without wondering what is goin' on. I also seem to have a problem with turkeys in that the male fertility seems to go down after 2-3 weeks and if I rotate them out they revitalize their 'virility' and I can put them back in after two rotations. I sometimes wonder if this isn't a problem with roosters as well - particularly the older ones (no comments, please). It means additional time and expense and if a person is solely interested in eggs and/or meat, there is no reason why they can't periodically replace their flock through any reputable hatchery.

#3967 - 07/20/02 07:31 AM Re: Information over load
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Yes, the hens appreciate a break. In my situation, I can't have crowing at 5:00 in the morning and I have one big coop that is pretty sound-proof. So I watch for things like a hen losing feathers on her back and then I separate that hen (with a few girl buddies). I guess I'm doing it backwards because for me, it's necessary to get all the roosters into the main coop at night. I'll pull out a few girls for a couple of weeks or so and rotate the girls around like that (but they all hang out together with just a wire fence separation so I don't have problems with re-establishing the pecking order). Most of the time though, my whole flock is together and my main approach to not having the hens overworked by the roosters is to have a good ratio. I'm working on that right now with a bunch of young pullets coming up.

Susie

#3968 - 07/21/02 05:57 AM Re: Information over load
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question dealing with rooosters as well. If you leave them by themselves do they stay nice?

#3969 - 07/21/02 08:54 AM Re: Information over load
Anonymous
Unregistered

Susie, what do you consider a good ratio? From my batch of 23 straight run Buff Orpington chicks, I have finally been able to determine that I have 5 cockerels and 18 pullets.

#3970 - 07/21/02 03:02 PM Re: Information over load
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Lauren--

Leaving roosters by themselves won't guarentee them staying nice. It often helps because the rooster won't have anything to dominate over, but some roosters are just territorial just in case a hen (or another rooster) does happen to come along. Docility depends on the breed and/or the individual. More often then not, the larger breeds tend to be more tame then the smaller ones, but in the end, it depends mostly on the individual and the conditions it's raised in. Hope this helps.

Oatman_99

#3971 - 07/21/02 03:09 PM Re: Information over load
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Orpinanni--

A good ratio of cock to hen is generally 1:3-5. They can also be kept as pairs and trios, but for a bigger flock the 3-5 hens per cock is a good ratio to keep them in. In your case, I don't know how aggressive Orpingtons are as breeders, but they should be fine the way they are. If fighting is occuring more than it usually is or the hens are getting beat up, you can always remove a rooster or add some more hens, whatever you choose. or vice versa.

Oatman_99

#3972 - 07/21/02 03:14 PM Re: Information over load
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Orpinanni,

I'm shooting for 1 rooster per 10 hens. Right now I have 3 roosters with 16 hens and I have about 4 hens who are getting bare backs and there is a little too much chasing going on, in my opinion.

Lauren,

I have a rooster that stays penned by himself and a few weeks of that turned him to be even more aggressive. He has bit us a couple of times now. I'm finding that giving him a few girls 2 or 3 times a week actually calms him down! When he is "hen-less" for a week straight, one of us ends up getting bit. He is isolated because he is such a fighter and my other roosters were suffering, but keeping him alone has made him more aggressive as we never had a problem with him biting us until we separated him like this. I don't think there are any real "answers" to the rooster behaviors. I think that we can all share our experiences but the bottom line is that there are individual personalities that come into play and we can only guess about how different situations might turn out.

Susie

#3973 - 07/21/02 04:17 PM Re: Information over load
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think a more docile rooster can be selected for in a breeding program, but you could go too far in this selection and end up with chickens just too laid back. I am of the opinion that a testy roo would also fertilize the hens more effectivly. That said, my nasty roo is sterile, or at least he was this breeding season/

#3974 - 07/22/02 05:16 AM Re: Information over load
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to Jump in here and ask a simular question....I'm just getting started and was wondering what Breed would be good to start out with for a beginner. We had chickens when I was little (before age 6) so I know very little about them. My new chicken house is 12 x 17 so I know I can have up to 50 chickens, I want to keep some year round for eggs and I want to butcher some for food in the winter. Since my chicken house is so big could I fence off a small section for the roo's to seperate them at night? :rolleyes: [/LIST] :rolleyes: [LIST] confused

#3975 - 07/23/02 03:48 AM Re: Information over load
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I am trying to build a shed that would have individual cages about 3' square stacked on top of one another, each with a pen to the outside and solid bottoms with 6" high solid partitions around the perimeter at the bottom of each cage. The shed will have an 4' wide aisle through the middle and the cages stacked in double rows on either side with ventilation fans at the top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn