Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#40665 - 04/30/06 11:55 AM Re: White tailed reds
Jeroen Offline
Chicken

Loc: Belgium
I forgot to mention that the lighter birds can't be S/s+. The light colour is also visible by many females. And when we talk about Blue Quail Belgians, then the most done cross is Bleu Quail x Blue Quail or Blue Quail x Quail.

#40666 - 04/30/06 04:20 PM Re: White tailed reds
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Jeroem,

All I know is that all the research to date says that the blue gene dilutes eumelanin. There would have to be other genes or a gene that is/are causing the dilution of the pheomelanin.

In the next few months I will start working with the blue gene. I will use the red jungle fowl to do some test crosses and see what happens.

Tim

#40667 - 05/01/06 05:29 AM Re: White tailed reds
Jeroen Offline
Chicken

Tim,
I'm sure this will be interesting !

I also haven't found anything in the scientific literature that descriebed a dilution effect of the Bl-gene on pheomelanine.

I and most of our friends are breeders for show quality and then all these too light birds were killed because of their "bad" colour. And we haven't place or time to test them...

Jeroen.

#40668 - 05/01/06 11:09 AM Re: White tailed reds
Jeroen Offline
Chicken

Here are two pictures with a Buff Columbian bird and a Blue Buff Columbian bird. When our friend has some Blue Buff Columbian birds in his offspring then they are always very ligth (diluted). His Buff Columbian birds show mostly a more normal colour. He never uses Columbian birds, but he makes several crosses between Mille Fleurs, Blue Mille Fleurs and Golden Neck birds with other varieties which don't posses the mo-gene.

Jeroen.

#40669 - 05/05/06 03:58 PM Re: White tailed reds
W. C. Lawrence Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Georgia
In my birds, the red is not affected at all. For what I am looking for, it wouldnt matter if it was. I prefer a New Hampshire-type red over a RIR red anyways. And buff over red. I just wondered if it would work. Will it?
Seems like it would. The only real problem I can forsee is that the "white" tails in the birds would be polluted with black specks. just like anywhere else in a splash color. I was thinking of crossing her to a Red Shouldered Yoko just to see what they would look like.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69