Topic Options
#40723 - 03/26/08 07:45 AM dark dark blue eggs
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
I was just thinking, I have only seen light blue eggs, and never saw one dark dark blue egg! my question is: could it be as strait forward as it was to make darker brown egg layers? like by selecting the darker egg layer in the flock? or since the blue gene is not a pollygenic trait like the brown color, could it be a harder task to someone trying to breed dark dark blue eggs? ( I am thinking dark as that spanish breed that lays the darkest eggs ever seen)....and about dark dark green eggs I think it could be a matter of breeding that spanish breed with a blue egger and back crossing it to the spanish breed... but what color could come out if ones achieve a dark dark blue and breed it to that spanish breed? BLACK EGGS?... I'm just letting my mind loose here!!!!

#40724 - 03/27/08 01:44 PM Re: dark dark blue eggs
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Interesting question.

If one could concentrate on just egg color I'm sure bluer eggs could be achieved. I think some of the Americana Breeders have bluer egg.

Eggs that have green of any shade are a mix of brown and blue. Breeding green egg layers to separate out the blue can be daunting because of the myriad of modifiers for brown. Plus not a whole lot is known about the blue egg gene except it's dominant.

My Araucana Mille Fleurs were originally created using Old English Bantam Game & probably Sussex too, both brown egg layers. For the most part the Milles lay blue eggs, some of them are more green than blue.

an egg layed this year by a pullet has a green layer over blue. The green can be scraped off reveling blue underneath.

Karen

#40725 - 03/28/08 08:48 AM Re: dark dark blue eggs
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
or this is a dead end! making a dark dark blue egg(darker than superman suit) could be as pointless as making a white egg layer lay darker eggs without any brown blood in them.........BUT WAIT there are chickens in south america(pre columbian breeds) that lay all sorts of colors including ASH and DARK ASH eggs...so this could work with a patien breeder.......

#40726 - 03/29/08 08:20 AM Re: dark dark blue eggs
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Eggs that have green of any shade are a mix of brown and blue.
This is not necessarily true. Colour is subjective, and many see green/blue in different ways. Therefore, what one considers blue, another would consider slightly greenish. We need to be careful when making such generalized statements when they can affect the selection criteria of others.

Just to be clear, obviously the olive green eggs are mutt eggs.

However, I have found that the shade of genetically pure blue can range from aqua (somewhat greenish) to sky blue without any indication of brown egg genes. To know for sure if an aqua egg is being influenced by brown egg genes, you need to compare inside shell colour with outside shell colour. If they are the same, the influence of brown egg genes, if any, is negligible.

In fact, I have found that selecting against these aqua coloured eggs can hurt any efforts to breed a deeper blue egg.

Also, many regard "robins egg blue" as the ideal blue egg colour for Araucana breeders, but even robins egg blue has a greenish hue to it.

Sometimes I think people focus so hard on "true blue" that they lose sight of the overall objective, selecting for the prettiest egg. Most who see our eggs find the shiny aqua coloured eggs to be the prettiest. The flat "pure" blue eggs look washed out in comparison.

Therefore, I repeat, compare inside shell colour to outside shell colour on the pretty greenish eggs before tossing as suspected brown egg gene inluenced.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69