Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42723 - 03/16/07 09:30 AM Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all. We are wanting to start a small hatchery here in souther Indiana. We are starting from our current flock of 27 chickens. We are into the 2nd day of our first "experimental" hatch. I have READ AND READ...lol here on this great forum and just wanted to get some feedback.

We purchased a Hova-bator 1602N with automatic egg turner and also have a heated brooder from GQF.

Just a couple of "simple" questions.
#1)How do you go about refilling the water troughs under the egg turner? Do you take the eggs out and how long can the eggs stand to be out of the bator?

#2)Do I need to take the eggs out of the turner on the 18th day? I haven't really seen a clear answer to that one. If I need to take them out, what is the best thing to put them on to make cleaning better? I have read that the styrofoam is VERY difficult to get clean if anything gets messy.

I love reading all the information here and really hope to get to know some of you. Please contact us even just to chat.

We have a 5 acre farm and are just LOVING our birds!

Ted, Sherri and Shelby(SS&T Farm)

#42724 - 03/16/07 10:19 AM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
If you're wanting to start a hatchery, you'll need ALOT more breeder birds! And a MUCH bigger and better incubator!

Anyway, I just pour the (warm) water away from the eggs. Try to leave a little extra space between your watering area and your egg area. This keeps the eggs from getting wet and makes it alot easier on you when you refill the troughs. Eggs can be left alone for several hours, but I don't recommend it. I should think 5 minutes would be more than enough time for you to fill the troughs.

2) You don't have to take the eggs out of the turner, but you can turn the turner off and just use the frame as a holder for the eggs. There should be a separate chord leading from the turner to the wall, simply untie this cord and there shouldn't be a problem.

I use paper egg cartons now. I gave up on the turner because eggs (that I didn't know at the time) expanded when the embryo died and were ticking timebombs. It is very hard to remove a bomb without it exploding...especially when it's stuck in the plastic holder! smile So, now I use the cartons which can be removed easily from the incubator with no problems.

Styrafoam is difficult because it is porous. Not exactly porous, but it has small little cracks inbetween the styrafoam. These cracks can trap dirt, dust, egg material, etc. It's a royal pain getting it clean! But, I've noticed the incubator doesn't have to be perfect to get a good hatch. My incubator has dirt inbetween the cracks (even though I've used an SOS pad, a scrubber and a power hose!).

Good luck and it is a trip! Just don't forget to set the incubator up a few days in advance of putting the eggs in. Also, don't forget to make sure the turner is working! If it doesn't, you can shift the eggs by hand. It doesn't take that much to do.

#42725 - 03/16/07 10:44 AM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are just starting out small and will increase our stock in time.

I will take all that advice into consideration. We did "test" the incubator for a day before we put the eggs in to make sure the temp setting and all were correct.

Thank to jrsygntbrdr1 for your reply.

#42726 - 03/16/07 10:49 AM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Oh I'm sorry, now that I read the first 2 sentences, they look really mean. I didn't mean to come off that way!

I had mine going for a week and it's a good thing. Cuz I put the carton in there and completely threw off the temp by about 5 degrees. I did NOT want the temp going any higher than 102 and it went to 106! So, we had to fix the temp overnight and it was perfect!

Good luck!

#42727 - 03/16/07 03:32 PM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
As far as filling the water trough at the bottom, you can open the incubator, and just pour water between the eggs to the tray underneathe. I am assuming that your bator came with a plastic liner for the water to go into? (Most do) anyway, be sure to fill with room temp water, preferrably distilled as it won't leave mineral deposits in the tray after time.
The plastic liner will keep the bottom of the incubator from getting icky for the most part. You will have to scrub the wire screen well though. When I had a hovabator, I filled the water try with a aquarium hose through the vent hole in the lid, and syringed in water through that so I didnt have to open the lid. Hovabators take forever to get the temp back up to the propert temp when you open the lid.
You can leave the turner in the bator for the whole time, just unplug the turner on day 18. I have had chicks hatch early in the turner while it was still going though. I had much better luck hatching eggs eithe rin the turner, or placed in the same position in egg cartons once turner is removed. Whenever I would change the egg position out of the turner to laying on their side, my hatches were poor, but thats just my experience.

I spray Oxine in my bators now to disinfect them and clean out that way.

Just keep a close eye on your humidity. 55% for first 18 days, 70% after that. Get a good wet bulb thermometer or a hygrometer that you can buy at cigar shops or ones used for reptiles.

#42728 - 03/18/07 09:01 AM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the insight Cara. All of that sounds like good sound advice. We used a kitchen funnel with tubing placed on the end of it to fill the water trough this morning. It worked wonders, only lossed 1/2 of a degree of heat.

We will be investing in a good hygrometer in the next day or so.

Where do you buy the Oxine?

#42729 - 03/18/07 11:21 AM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Hmmm, I think that I bought mine from either Jeffers livestock website or First state Vet...also online. don't remember which. Just do a search for either of the two companies.

#42730 - 03/29/07 01:09 PM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it's day 14 and we candled our eggs. We pulled 6 out as they didn't show an air pocket.

Curious about whether to vaccinate against cocci and marek's. Please advise.

#42731 - 03/31/07 06:10 PM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was always told by my great grand parents that eggs dont stand up under the hen they lay down, so they wont hatch well standing up in the incubator, but i dont know b/c all 4 times i used my incubator our electricity was out long enough for the eggs to get cold

#42732 - 04/03/07 03:16 PM Re: Please Welcome this Newbie Family Farm to hatching eggs and brooding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now it is day 19 and we have turned the egg turner off with the eggs sitting upright. We are now hoping that all 28 will hatch. They were all candled again while filling the water trays to full capacity to increase the humidity and they all looked great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2