Topic Options
#42842 - 10/04/06 05:11 PM (help) relocating with broody hen
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
hi guys, im a bit worried one of my hens has decided to hatch some eggs for the first time and we are having to relocate, it will be day 16 of incubation the day we move and i dont want to disturb her in anyway, im wandering if there is anything i can do to keep her on these eggs or do i just have no hope.
my roostetr will have to go on the move as the new property is not big enough and the council wont let him come, so this is my one and only chance at chicks, i really hope someone with some succuess stories can help, and any info would be appreciated. cheers lisa.

#42843 - 10/04/06 05:33 PM Re: (help) relocating with broody hen
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Wow...that's a hard one. Is there a possibility of taking her nest with her? Is she in a movable nestbox? If not, there may not be much hope as I've never had good luck in moving a hen during incubation. During a hatch, yes, but not during incubation.

If you don't have a movable nestbox, try this:

Get a box that will fit her and the eggs, place the eggs inside the box with her regular straw or bedding material. Then, place this box in the same spot as her old nest. Shine a flashlight on the eggs (it's best to do this at night so that she ONLY can see the eggs.) When she notices the eggs (it may even help to place her in the box, but make sure she sets down on the eggs before you leave) she will hopefully settle down on the eggs and stay broody. It's a shot.

Good luck, I hope your move goes well?
Mikaela

#42844 - 10/05/06 04:52 AM Re: (help) relocating with broody hen
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I'm betting you can pull it off. I say that because I almost always move my broody hens after they started setting on eggs, and I don't think it matters much to a hen if it's a new nest or a new property. My only concern is transporting her, as I haven't had to do that. Is it a long drive?

I agree with trying to get her set up NOW in a box or something so that she can have the same nest once you get to the new place. You might have your best success if you can pull her from the coop right now, to a place where she ONLY has the option of sitting right there with her eggs. I mean, a small dog crate or something similar? In other words, my concern with trying to get her on a new nest, right there in the coop where she currently is (I'm assuming) is that she'll want to return to her regular spot, whether there are eggs there or not. Did that make sense? Change her environment now and get her settled in on her eggs in a place where there are no nest choices and in something you can move her in - like a box or crate.

#42845 - 10/06/06 02:22 PM Re: (help) relocating with broody hen
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
ok, she is in a moveable nesting box, it is large and im a little worried about transporting her, so ill get everything set up in the new place and move her over late at night, should i leave her in the nesting box when we transport her or take her out? i dont know if she might panic or not and damage the eggs by mistake, its about 30 mins drive from were we are now. thanks for all the help. cheers lisa.

#42846 - 10/06/06 02:30 PM Re: (help) relocating with broody hen
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I've moved with chickens a few times (in dog crates mainly, but sometimes in boxes) and I found they pretty much just lie down and don't seem to freak out about the ride. I'd leave her on the eggs rather than have them cool for 30 minutes plus whatever time it might take her to get back on that nest. It might be a good idea to get her off the nest for the giant, broody-hen poop before you travel. ;-)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2