Topic Options
#43101 - 05/22/04 07:57 PM "Water weasel" incubation aid
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
What water weasels are and how to use them in incubator

Opinions from the experts?

Anybody tried using them? Did they make any difference- negatively or postively?

#43102 - 05/23/04 10:08 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Sounds like a neat idea. Anyone that tries it out should report what the temp difference is between the exterior thermometer and the one in the weasel. This will depend on thermometer placement and whether it is a still air or forced air incubator. In a still air incubator the size of the weasel will be more important.

The egg should be slightly cooler than the weasel because water is evaporating from the egg and not the weasel, but the difference should be pretty small.

#43103 - 05/23/04 10:59 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Rokimoto, I'm using one right now.

The incubator is a GQF Sportsman and using a digital RadioShack indoor/outdoor digital thermometer. It was reading 99.1-99.7 and after the probe was inserted in the toy, it has been reading 98.6-98.8.

Rosie thanks for replying. Got mine at Walmart also.

#43104 - 05/24/04 09:11 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Do you have the electronic thermostat for the sportsman? I use an old electronic thermostat for my homemade incubator and it is the old Sportsman thermostat from 1987. My incubator has about half the internal volume of a Sportsman and stays pretty rock solid on the temperature. It maintains the temp to within a tenth of a degree, but I've never used a digital thermometer.

Is there any reason that the temp would be cooler in the weasel? Yours might be leaking a little and evaporation may be cooling it slightly. Theoretically a sealed vessel of water will reach ambient temperature and stay there. If the temperature outside the weasel is higher than the temp in the weasel it isn't a sealed container. Eggs are not sealed containers either, but water loss is relatively low. I'm not enough of a physicist to tell you how much evaporation is needed to reduce the temperature of the weasel by one degree.

#43105 - 05/24/04 11:57 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
Anonymous
Unregistered

For about ten dollars at radio shack you can purchase a digital thermometer / hygrometer as well. it's very small and could easily be put inside the incubator. No probe though so it won't really work with a "water Weasel"

#43106 - 05/25/04 08:25 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
Anonymous
Unregistered

That little digital thermometer in the picture works fine and they're also cheap. The probe will fit right through the thermometer hole on a GQF Sportsman.

We drilled extra holes in ours, one for the hydrometer, and digital thermometer.

With the unit half loaded, the temps are very stable, less than that, they will drift a couple of tenths of a degree - just needs more mass.

#43107 - 05/26/04 12:16 PM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

It has a wafer thermostat right now. Ordered an pre-set electronic one from GQF but they sent me one that looked very used, no directions and none of the extra wiring it probably needs. I'd very much like to install an electronic thermostat right now but from the looks of the one I got and the quality(poor) of their customer service is making me postpone putting this one in while it's full of eggs.

Anyways, after your comment I put the water weasel with the probe resting in the same spot as it was previously, the reading did come back up to 99.5. So the difference was due to cold-hot spots in the incubator, sorry for the confusion. Is there anything I can do to make the incubator be more even in tempature?

#43108 - 05/27/04 05:22 AM Re: "Water weasel" incubation aid
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I don't know if the ventilation of the Sportsman are that even. You need even airflow to all trays. I don't know if this can be accomplished with their fan placement. Using ventilated egg holders and making sure nothing blocks the airflow is about the best that you can do. People claim that they get good hatches from Sportsmans, so I wouldn't expect a 1 degree variance.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2