Topic Options
#43480 - 07/28/02 04:24 PM weeping eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember a topic from the old site about weeping eggs but unfortunatly can't remember what it said. I have had a couple of exploding eggs and I have an egg that is weeping right now. Could anyone explain please what I am doing wrong? I have a large incubator full of eggs right now and have been having pretty good luck.

#43481 - 07/28/02 07:30 PM Re: weeping eggs
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Weeping eggs and exploders are due to bacterial contamination and the resulting bacterial growth within the confines of the shell. When an egg drips on the eggs below it or explodes...the result is contamination of more eggs and later the newly hatched baby chicks.
The best thing to do is candle eggs prior to setting and remove all cracked eggs. Eggs should then be candled after 10 days or so (not later than transfer at 18 or 19 days to the hatching trays). There is no reason for leakers and exploders except for poor management.
Another practice which helps is to not set floor eggs nor soiled eggs. I know this practice has been recommended by universities for years but because of the need to maximize hatch....they are still set. If dirty eggs must be set they should be washed in dishwashing detergent and water which is not more than 117F and scrubbed with a brush. The eggs should then be dipped in 75F water with about 1 teaspoon of chlorine bleach per 2 gallons of water for about 5 minutes and then removed and allowed to air dry. The eggs can be washed and sanitized either immediately after collection or prior to setting in the machine.

#43482 - 07/28/02 07:39 PM Re: weeping eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the help. I will have to check for cracked eggs. I have never heard of washing the eggs though. I usually only use clean eggs anyway but I have alway been told that you can't wash eggs that you are going to set. Learn something new every day.I am a little worried about my other eggs now as I have alot of eggs in there for different dates. Should I wipe the eggs off in the incubator after I get rid of any leaking eggs?

#43483 - 07/29/02 07:59 AM Re: weeping eggs
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Once there have been leakers and exploders in a machine it is contaminated. The best thing to do is finish hatching the eggs which are in the machine. Next completely clean the machine and the setting and hatching trays and start with new eggs. Candle them and keep up the procedure. Don't set eggs less than once a week...that way there are larger sets and you can establish a schedule for setting, candling, transfering and hatching which will also minimize missing eggs which should have been transfered. I usually set eggs on a 14 days interval which is less than optimum for hatch percentage but allows for larger hatches and makes for less work. Machines should be cleaned periodically through the hatching season to reduce baterial contamination in the cabinet. It is the best practice to set in batches and then clean the setter when eggs are transferred to the hatcher. In machines where setting and hatching are all done in one machine it is a good idea to completely clean the machine every hatch or two. One should keep in mind that when chicks hatch there is lots of down floating around and sticking to all interior surfaces. The down has a certain level of bacterial contamination... Therefore, cleaning the machines reduces the contamination on a regular basis.

#43484 - 07/29/02 07:44 PM Re: weeping eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well that answers my questions and now I know that I need to clean my incubator thoroughly. My incubator has the hatcher inside it as well. Thanks for all your help you guys. Really appreciate it.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2