Topic Options
#44579 - 03/17/05 09:23 PM Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Shannon Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington State, San Juan Cou...
Perhaps someone could offer advice:

I had 5 unexpected G.P.Hamburg chicks show up on March 8th, and they are living in a 8'x 8' coop with their mom, who is taking good care of them. Also in the coop is a broody Australorp on 10 eggs due March 25th.

I can divide the coop with netting to keep the new chicks separate, but what about the mothers? Should I remove both? Or would it be cruel to the Hamburg to remove her at 17 days from her chicks?

What is the best way to remove a hen? Can I leave the Australorp with her brood for one day or do I need to remove her as soon as possible? Does the hen become terribly distressed? I think it would be chaotic with 2 moms in the same coop, and perhaps dangerous, but I don't have any extra
coops available.

I want to do the best thing for the chickens, not just what is convenient for myself. Thank you in advance!

Shannon

#44580 - 03/18/05 07:50 AM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
If you have the netting to divide and keep chicks out, I'm not quite understanding why it wouldn't also keep the mothers' on their respective sides. If you don't have anymore room, then where were the chicks going to be placed? I would just divide the coop and keep each 'family' separate. Much easier to let a hen raise the babies.
The easiest way to remove a hen is in the evening when she's hunkered down for the night.
Enjoy all the little peepers!!

#44581 - 03/21/05 09:11 AM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've personaly never had any problems with hens going after each others babies when in the same area, but mine get to go out and range durring the day. Seperating the familys would probibly be safer, just in case. Din't take their Mammas!! The hen and chicks bond and it'll be stressfull for both them and you! My hens are better mothers than I am anyway.

#44582 - 03/21/05 05:51 PM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have had 4 hens with chicks in the same coop and not had a problem .but ihave 1 hen who will attach anything that moves when she has chicks including me.if you have a problem with getting along try dividing the coop with a sheet of plywood.try to keep the chicks with the hens if possible.good luck

#44583 - 03/21/05 07:14 PM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Nesting ( i think you mean hay??) wont stop the chicks once they are a few days old, they will climb right over. Some moms will kills chicks whom she doesnt think are hers and it is best to keep them separate. Split the coop in half with chicken wire. You would only have to make it about 2 feet high so you can get over it easily but the chicks cant cross over and the mothers cant either (unless they jump over, which i doubt they will).

#44584 - 03/21/05 10:24 PM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Shannon Offline
Chicken

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Due to your input I have decided to keep the moms with their chicks, and divide the coop with plastic fence netting. If that doesn't work, I will use a piece of plywood for a divider.

The new chicks will get the heat lamp, and the 17-day-old chicks can snuggle up to mom. Hopefully everyone will be happy!

Shannon

#44585 - 03/26/05 03:36 PM Re: Managing 2 batches of chicks in one coop
Shannon Offline
Chicken

This post is adjunct to one I just posted in MISC, under "Chicks attacked". I want to warn others that the netting I put up in the coop to separate the two hens wasn't tall enough. The Hamburg hen jumped over and attacked 5 of the 9 new chicks that hatched 2 days ago. I am treating them for flesh wounds and a probable broken wing. I feel so bad I wasn't more careful! Now the netting extends to the ceiling, and I have added a visual barrier.

Please don't make the same mistake!

Shannon

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2