Topic Options
#44763 - 08/11/02 07:12 PM Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I finially got the chicken house done and the Chics came (50 hens 3 Roos)in Friday. All was going well and then this morning one of the chick wasn't walking well on one of it's legg. Looked like it was double jointed or hurt so I put her in a box with a couple of Sisters to keep her company, then this evening another chic (both were RI Reds) came up with a bum leg. Are these two just hit and run accidents or is there something I need to do? frown Renita's first batch

#44764 - 08/11/02 07:16 PM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry the chicks are sc Brown Leghorns, I have RI Reds but they aren't the hurt ones. wink

#44765 - 08/11/02 07:43 PM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

what kind of surface are you keeping your chicks on? slippery surfaces can cause leg deformities in the first few days of life, for the bones are still hardening and developing rapidly. Newspaper and cardboard are bad... Try using a bedding, such as corncob, or even a wire (small spaces) bottom pen.

#44766 - 08/11/02 07:55 PM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Frist day I had them they was on papper just like the McMurray catalog said then I put them on wood shavings. the floor under the wood shavings is concrete. Do you think the leggs will get better??? confused

#44767 - 08/11/02 10:50 PM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
I read somewhere about using sand for starting chicks. I tried it out with some rumpless araucanas I recently hatched and it worked incredibly well. The poop dried faster than with shaving and the clumps are fairly easy to scoop out. With the rumpless chicks, I was warned that poopy butts can be a problem, but the sand helped keep that problem under control. I guess eating the sand is better for them than eating the shavings.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#44768 - 08/12/02 01:31 AM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Renita, can you please explain in more detail what you mean by bum leg, or double jointed. What exactly does the chick do? How do the toes look? Are they walking on thier hocks and peddling with thier wings? Are their toes curved in?

#44769 - 08/12/02 05:21 AM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Abram, I just went out and checked on the chics, the one that came up lame first the toes are curled up and she isn't able to use the legg at all. The other one that came up with the same condition her toes are still streight but her hole legg is pointing outward. What do you think?, are these chicks saveable???? frown

#44770 - 08/12/02 05:53 AM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Renita -

Check out this site for advice on helping Straddle legs or Spraddle Leg:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

For a picture of a chick with hobbles on look here and scroll down page a bit:
http://cyborganic.com/People/feathersite/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

Also (as I have read when going through this with my own chick) the leg joints could be weak because of nutritional deficiencies - so (as CJR recommends) try cod liver oil on multigrain bread. Make a sandwich of it and then crumble it up to them. Much easier than trying to get the cod liver oil into them with a dropper like I did.

Most inportantly is to get the braces on their legs. With mine I think I waited too long and then the chick's legs got "set" in the twisted position.

Good luck - I have heard lots of positive stories about the outcome on this condition - unfortunately my chick just got worse and worse as she gained weight so I had to have her put down.

#44771 - 08/12/02 08:18 AM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Renita,

I think that with high temperatures in the summer, the nutrition in feedd degrades very quickly. So even though the essential carbos and proteins are there, the vitamins might degrade. Chicks are highly sensitive to these defficienceis, it seems, since they can't store them too long in their bodies.

If your chicks can eat grass now, which they really don't untill they are 3 weeks of age or so, then put them on the ground to start pecking. If they don't, then feed them small chunks of beef liver. I probably sounds like a broken record, but the vitamin that most chicks with leg problems are missing is riboflavin. It causes chicks to walk on hocks (inverted knees), their toes curl in and they begin crawling, using their wings as pedals. Luckily for the chick, this only lasts a week, after that they expire,if left untreated. frown

So just in case this is what is happening to your chick with curled feet, you konw what to do. Forcefeeding might have to be done, until 2 days after he begins walking right. Many chicks develop a taste for liver, so they might really look forward to these feeding sessions. smile

The chick with a twisted leg, well, that's out of my experience. I guess putting on rubber bands and all that really work, but I never had to deal with that myself.

Good luck.

#44772 - 08/14/02 07:17 PM Re: Baby Chics with bum leggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you everyone, the chicks are doing better today the one who got sick first is trying to use her bad leg and can stand on her good legg again. The second one is doing much better also the leg is turning toward the front and she is walking much better. I am feeding them the bread with cod liver oil and the beef liver. I did loose one of the dominic's for no apparent reason. This evening a grasshopper made the mistake of getting into the baby pin and was promptly pulled apart. The Grasshoppers should be afraid, very afraid....

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2