Topic Options
#4478 - 05/03/04 02:43 PM brooding and cross breeding questions?
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Oregon
One of my easter egger girls has started to show signs that she might go broody. Although I don't really view this possibility as a bad thing, I didn't really expect it to happen either nor did I originally expect that I would end up with a great big RIR roo.

So, now that I find myself with at least the setup where I could possibly raise some chicks, I have been toying with idea and have some questions that I hope I could get some feedback on.

First, is there a way to encourage the broody signs I've seen in my hen? I've noticed that unlike the other girls who usually bolt out of the nest box after they've layed, she tends to "sit" awhile on hers and the others. Should I try giving her some fake eggs and a separate box and see what happens?

Also, If I can get her going, is there any reason why I shouldn't give her the other "non-broody" girl's eggs to set?

Finally, does anyone have any knowledge of what the crosses of RIR/Australorp are like? RIR/ easter egger? I realize the latter cross is probably pretty much a crap shoot considering that easter eggers are already "mutts" to begin with. I bet some would be interesting though :rolleyes:

thoughts?

#4479 - 05/04/04 08:04 AM Re: brooding and cross breeding questions?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
To answer you questions quickly and to a point

1 Yes and Yes/Maybe
2 No reason not to
3 RIR Easter Egger make really huge rooster babies. THey will outgrow the RIR and be really mean to hens too. But they'll be very impressive. Hens will be large and productive too, but not as productive as RIR.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn