Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44875 - 05/12/05 09:34 PM selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have wanted to mail order some baby chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery for years now. I never could how ever because the Minimum order is 25 chicks due to the fact that the chicks have to be able to help keep each other warm throughout the trip. I am not interested in 25 chicks. I want 10-15 chicks at the most. I have lately started up a small business at the Farmer's Market. I was wondering if I could mail order 25 chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery, raise the chicks till eight weeks of age, and then sell the 10-15 extra chicks at the Farmer's Market. I would order all Pullets and I would be ordering some of the more Popular breeds such as:

Rhode Island Red.
Silver Laced Wyandottes.
Barred Rocks.
Buff Orpingtons.
Black Australorp.
New Hampshire Reds.
Partridge Rocks.
White Rocks.
White Wyandottes.
Delawares.

and perhaps more.

the Farmer's Market doesn't allow animals so could I just post a ad for them at my table? I think that this might be my chance to be able to get some more chicks this year. any suggestions or advice is welcome.

#44876 - 05/12/05 10:31 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
that is a good idea,I would add pics to the ad if you put one up and a description of the breed and what they are good for etc.

#44877 - 05/13/05 10:38 AM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Jo Jo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi, Rachel -
I am happy you are finally getting your chicks! I was afraid of the same thing - but the more I talked about it, the more people who were interested in ordering with me. I lucked out and we ended up with an order of 25 chicks, but I was determined to get them anyway, and would have not only posted a note at the Farmers Co-op, but also my local corner-stores, and here on the Classroom, too. You may be able to get rid of them sooner than the 8 weeks. Go for it!!
-jo
PS If you are getting Rocks, and are definitely ordering from McMurray, check out their Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks - very pretty!

#44878 - 05/13/05 07:12 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks everyone.

this might be a big chance but if I don't try it how will I ever know?

I would put Silver Penciled Rocks on my list but they only come in straight run. same goes for Silver Penciled Wyandottes. they are both beautiful birds (I favor the Wyandottes over the Rocks how ever). how ever I would only be getting Pullets. I don't want anymore Roosters.

#44879 - 05/14/05 08:45 AM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Rachel, I put an ad in the Shopping News that I would be receiving Speckled Sussex chicks in the mail on a certain date , and that 16 chicks would be available at cost. They were reserved before the chicks arrived, paid for and picked up the day they arrived. I kept my 9. It is worth a try, and you do not have to keep them and feed them for weeks, at all. Good luck, CJR

#44880 - 05/14/05 07:54 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks CJR. thats a better idea then mine.

#44881 - 05/17/05 07:19 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

another thing that I have been pondering.

if I do it as you suggested CJR how do I tell what breeds are what? some of the breeds that I would be getting look alike as young chicks.

#44882 - 05/18/05 08:36 AM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Rachel, Order the chicks you want to keep. Then fill the 25 with ALL of one another breed that has distinctive colored down on the chicks--such as the Black Australorps. (Sorry, I don't have the catalog that shows the chick pictures--but you can choose from those.) You can do it. CJR

#44883 - 05/19/05 07:25 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats a better idea then what I was planning on doing. thanks.

the breeds that I know I want are as follows:

Silver Laced Wyandottes.
Buff Orpingtons.
Barred Rock.
Black Australorp.
Rhode Island Reds.
New Hampshire Reds.
Partridge Rock.

and I would like a white chickens as well but can't choose between White Rock, White Orpington, or White Wyandotte.

so it might be hard ordering the rest of the chicks so they don't look like my chicks. I don't want any mix ups.

I could order Polish. those are easy to tell apart.

or maybe Brahmas. they are easy to tell apart as well.

any suggestions welcomed!

#44884 - 05/20/05 09:49 AM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Jo Jo Offline
Flock Leader

Rachel,
You can order more of one of the types that you also want that is distinctive. Of the list you include, you could get extra Buff Orpingtons, and they should be easy to tell, and then you would just keep the one or two that you wanted of that breed, with all the other colored ones. The breed you choose to sell can be one that you are already ordering - it doesnt have to be separate. I would choose a very popular breed, such as the bufforp, or the plymrock, so that they will be cheapest to buy, and also be the most familiar to chick buyers. Your idea of the tophats, or a feather-footed breed such as the brahma is also a good one for the distinction, but personally, I would go for the lowest price since it was my money up front.
-jo

#44885 - 05/20/05 04:53 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you thought about just ordering from a hatchery that doesn't have a minimum? Before we "bought the farm" I had my McMurray catalogue crumpled and dog-eared from my drooling anticipation. I keep checking prices, then finally ordering from Ideal. In the end (when shipping and extra cost for the per-breed were tallied) it was MUCH less expensive, they actually had the breeds I wanted, and they could do small orders (the smallest I got from them was 8 chicks... that was in mid-summer, last year). I still love McMurray's catalogue and website; I just ordered some egg cartons from them, so I don't feel so bad about demanding their lovely catalogue year after year.

#44886 - 05/20/05 10:37 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I kind of did the same thing jessica did. I picked out the breeds that I wanted from the McMurray catalog then check the feed stores and was able to get all the chicks that I wanted with in a 7 day period. From 2 different stores. I did order from McMurray years ago and was please but the shipping cost is so much to WA. If you do order I pick out 1 or 2 of the breeds you like and fill in you order with them. Buff Orp's are sweet, Barred Rocks, or Black australorps would be easy to sell. Go luck.

#44887 - 05/21/05 06:58 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was considering ordering from Ideal as their minimum is 10-15 chicks (considering the price range) but I'm not sure how much it would be. they charge you for each Separate breed of chick and I am going to get around 11 diffrent breeds (I want a large verity). all Pullets. is it cheaper buying from Ideal or Mcmurray? because I can always sell the extra chicks if I buy from Mcmurray.

jojo. the Buff Orpington is a good idea. I think out of all of the chicks the Buff Orpington would be the Easiest to tell apart from all of the other chicks. Black Australorp isn't because I would be getting several chicks that look alike to the Black Australorp chick.

#44888 - 05/25/05 07:48 AM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Jo Jo Offline
Flock Leader

Is it cheaper at Ideal? You would have to do the math. But keep in mind, if it is cool, you will get extra males for warmth from Ideal. It may cost you less, but you will have up to 15 cockerals to get rid of instead of up to 15 pullets....
-jo

#44889 - 05/27/05 09:27 PM Re: selling unneeded chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should probably just go with Mcmurray.

I am considering going into the egg business so keeping all 25 pullets wouldn't be a bad idea.

first I have to get a nicer chicken coop built and then I have to get my parents to agree to all of this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2