Topic Options
#45304 - 07/18/05 07:46 PM Where can I find out about candling my eggs?
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
My hen has been setting on 7 eggs for about 10 days and I would like to know if there's any "good" eggs under her. All I have for a candler is a flashlight. What should I be looking for? I looked at them before I put them under her but I couldn't see anything. They're all different shades of brown so I understand they might be kind of hard to see through. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what I'm supposed to find? Do I candle them periodically or just leave them alone? Thanks for your expertise.

#45305 - 07/18/05 08:17 PM Re: Where can I find out about candling my eggs?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
5 or 6 days after incubation starts is the easiest time to see if the eggs are developing and then to remove any that are infertile. Your flashlight is a way to test them, intense light best. Cup your hand around each egg, set right on the lens. White or Light shell eggs are easy. Test with a fresh egg to see what you will be comparing. Any shadows or dark areas indicates that the embryo is developing.You may see an air cell at the wide end, with the darker embryo filling the rest of the eggs. The Brown egg shells are difficult! Comparison with a fresh egg is your best guess! No need to candle again unless you have a ?? about one or more, then do it again with those eggs (mark them, so you can id them and not have to work through the whole set again. tiny black blood specs on the egg shells. And if she has them, take her off and dust her underside--and around the straw in the nest. Disturb her and the eggs as little as possible. If done at night, there is less disturbance. Good luck, CJR

#45306 - 07/19/05 07:06 AM Re: Where can I find out about candling my eggs?
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Stickdog

Here are a couple of good sites. Take a look at the pictures.

http://www.homestead.com/shilala/candling.html

http://www.tcaviary.com/eggs.htm

Tim Adkerson

#45307 - 07/19/05 07:28 PM Re: Where can I find out about candling my eggs?
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
Thanks for the replies. Especially the pictures on the websites. I just went out to candle all of them (it's 9pm here and pitch dark in the garage). All I had was a flashlight with a toilet paper roll taped on the end but I could see that they all looked about the same, dark and solid on one end with kind of an air cell? at the other end. I hope they're alright. According to the pictures that's a good sign. Help me keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2