Topic Options
#45409 - 07/28/02 04:46 AM Hen setting on eggs to hatch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 roosters and a hen (gamecocks) which are freerange and eat bugs on the place. The hen was laying an egg a day in a nest I made for her and then she changed places. What I do not understand is the process where she finally sits on the eggs to hatch biddies. By that I mean that egg one sits in the nest with no hen, egg two joins it on day two etc until she decides to sit. What keeps the early eggs from spoiling or going bad or whatever until she decides to sit the eggs? I was taking them to eat and I guess she wants some biddies.

As a kid we raised chickens to eat and never kept them around to lay eggs and have chicks.

#45410 - 07/28/02 06:13 AM Re: Hen setting on eggs to hatch
Anonymous
Unregistered

The earlier eggs lay dormant until the hen decides to set. When the hen sets and brings the whole clutch up to temp, then they will all start to incubate and will hatch roughly around the same time. Eggs can usually lay dormant for a week or a little more without fertillity being effected. If you watch her, and if she has good mothering instincts, when she lays another egg she will turn the older eggs, preserving the dormant embryos until she has enough eggs to set on.

#45411 - 07/30/02 01:49 AM Re: Hen setting on eggs to hatch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks very much for the info. She moved her nest to a place under a roto-tiller implement that I use on my tractor and it is hard to see in there but I will keep a check.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2