Topic Options
#45552 - 07/21/05 08:48 AM Shell color change?
Avalon Gardens Offline
Bantam

Loc: Arizona
Iíve done a Coop Search and did not find an answer to this situation:

My laying hen puts out khaki colored eggs. I have her confined so she will brood 4 eggs. Yesterday she laid an almost white egg! This one is 2 days newer than the rest of the clutch. Iím not so much worried about that but as to why the shell color change. Any clues?

thank you,
Paula

#45553 - 07/21/05 09:08 AM Re: Shell color change?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
As the period of lay progesses, the pigment may become lighter. Any brown color(ooporphryn) is applied to the white, or blue shell TO MAKLE A BROWN OR GREEN COLOED SHELL.

#45554 - 07/21/05 10:10 AM Re: Shell color change?
Avalon Gardens Offline
Bantam

Lucy has been laying khaki colored eggs for 2 years. This white egg is a first. Could it have anything to do with breeding?

#45555 - 07/21/05 10:11 AM Re: Shell color change?
Avalon Gardens Offline
Bantam

Lucy has been laying khaki colored eggs for 2 years. This white egg is a first. Could it have anything to do with breeding?

#45556 - 07/21/05 11:13 AM Re: Shell color change?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You have her confined for setting? Is she actually sitting on the 4 eggs--or you just want her to sit? She will not be laying if she is really "setting", but if this is a "last" egg, not more than a day later than her start of "set", sometimes that egg is smaller, and slightly different, indicating a change in her system, which means no more ovulation for the 21 days plus brooding time--another 5-6 weeks. Sometimes that last egg is not fertile.

So the situation may not be as it seems--so little information can be given in our posts--to give an answer that truly fits?? CJR

#45557 - 07/21/05 11:37 AM Re: Shell color change?
Avalon Gardens Offline
Bantam

This hen is my favorite and I am hoping her time spent with 'Elvis' will be fruitful. I believe the eggs are fertile and I was keeping them aside in a cool place until there were enough to brood. 4 is not very many but I don't have room for many more chickens.

Lucy was not broody at the time but is taking to being confined ok and is setting as she should be. Perhaps this last white egg is as you say, her system getting used to the situation.

Thanks for your expertise.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2