Topic Options
#4570 - 07/18/02 12:01 PM Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering~I may sound weird :p
If they eat hard things like grit and oyster shell it wouldn't hurt them to swallow Shrimp peelings. Would it be a good form of calcium? Any protien?
I was just peeling some for supper and wondered (they look like grasshopper/cricket bodies) if they might like it and if so is it ok for them? confused
I knew you would be the folks to go to! Thanks!!

#4571 - 07/18/02 01:44 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

chicketta, I don't know if you've held a grasshopper, but their bodies are soft (sort of). I wouldn't give it to my chickens just on the chance that it may make their eggs taste a bit fishey. Chickens don't naturaly eat stuff out of the sea, so I would stick to earth grown stuff in their diet...

#4572 - 07/18/02 05:48 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
My birds love the shrimp shells, which are exo-skeletons, which have to be good calcium source. I would think they would also be good source of other nutrients, rich in trace minerals? Whats an oyster shell?

#4573 - 07/18/02 06:07 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gee Rob, I guess eek should do it!! HA! What was I thinking? I guess not having any chickens laying at the time, I forgot about the oystershell....
So Chickeeta, forget what I said... :-/

#4574 - 07/18/02 09:55 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Del Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
I was just wondering if the salt/iodine would be of any concern. I guess it would depend in the amount being offered. Of course oysters come from the sea but I've never had that briny smell that comes with shrimp.

#4575 - 07/18/02 11:46 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is so funny but I was wondering the same thing tonight.lol. I have a bowl full of left over boiled shrimp in my fridge and was thinking that I might give it to my chickens tomorrow as a treat. However I got a little worried that the "horns" on the tails of the shrimp might be hurtful to their crops and am still unsure about it. Anyone think this should be a concern? confused

Nichole

#4576 - 07/19/02 10:28 AM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I regularly feed my chickens the tails and the body skeleton of the shrimp. I have never tried to feed the shrimp heads. They absolutely love it and none had died yet from it. Even the rooster eats some smile

#4577 - 07/19/02 01:17 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have been trying to think of something chooks wont eat, my list follows feel free to add to my list! wink

#4578 - 07/19/02 06:53 PM Re: Shrimp shells??Edible for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I took the peelings out there this morning. I thought I had chickens~ But they acted more like pigs!!! They absolutley LOVED them laugh !!
I also had some left over salad with Feta cheese bits. Cronus (roo) was about to go off on anybody that attempted to take "HIS" Feta cheese mad !! I went back later and only a handful of peelings were left. So I guess it's fair to say they were a hit. Thanks for the info!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn