Topic Options
#46901 - 07/14/05 08:40 AM Different aged eggs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been thinking about getting an incubator, and hatching my chicks instead of buying. But my 5 hens only lay about 3 eggs a day, if I get a hold of them, and I'm not sure I'd fill the incubator with just that.
So, would it be OK to put different aged eggs, prob. only a day apart, into an incubator and hatching them? I think I'd have to put the older ones in the fridge while I wait for the rest, would this ruin the fertility? I know long periods in the fridge will.

#46902 - 07/14/05 09:45 AM Re: Different aged eggs...
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

Loc: Illinois
I have been incubating eggs all year. My hens only lay 2 to 4 eggs per day. I collect the eggs and put them into an egg carton that is in a cool dark place. I have been keeping mine in a cooler with an ice pack wrapped in a bath towel. It keeps the temp about 60 degrees F. The fridge will chill the eggs too much. I normally wait no longer than 10 days, sometimes 14 to set all of the eggs in the incubator. Make sure that you date each egg as you collect it. In a few day after you set the eggs, you should be able to candle and throw out any that are clear. Good luck. JLee

#46903 - 07/14/05 05:03 PM Re: Different aged eggs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, it would be cheaper than buying my chicks. laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2