Topic Options
#46904 - 01/05/09 12:34 AM Chick Raising Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the spring I am going to a chick ownly 2 days to 2 weeks old. Could I have tips?

#46905 - 01/05/09 03:30 AM Re: Chick Raising Question
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Jesse, are you looking for suggestions on how to care for your new chick?
You will need a warm box with a light for heat at one end, so the little bird can warm itself or move away if too hot. You will need feed on the floor if it's tiny, 2 days or so old. Water should be a jar lid for a day or so, if it's only 2 days.
Was there something instead of this kind of thing that you wanted answers for?

jocelyn

#46906 - 01/05/09 10:19 AM Re: Chick Raising Question
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If it is only ONE chick, can you possibly manage TWO? I fasten a mirror on the side of the box, if I have just one chick, as a single chick will be very lonesome, may cry a lot instead of eating and sleeping, and are "programed" for several chicks to interact and snuggle for sleeping. A single chick will sleep right near its reflection and "talk" to itself! Follow Jocelyn's instructions.

Be sure to use a thermometer to check the heat in the box for your chick/chicks. 95f(oops,35C) is just right for the first week--then lower for the second week, keep the temp going down each week, as the chick feathers and grows. Too warm is deadly and too cool will have a crying chick and maybe chilled. A chick (or several chicks) is a lovely experience!! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2