Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47194 - 07/10/05 02:10 PM I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
I have a black austrolorp who is broodie. She's been like this for about 10 days and I finally figured out what was going on (thinking at first she was sick I separated her, etc. etc.) Anyway I got a place built for her away from the chickenhouse and in the garage all by herself. After I put her in there, she refused to sit. She just stood around in there and kicked over the food and refused to sit on the wooden eggs I gave her (to be replaced with "good" eggs once I knew she would sit). Finally I put her back in the henhouse and now she's broodie again. The problem is all the other hens and the rooster. I only have one henhouse and that's where she wants to be. Right now she has a couple of eggs she's sitting on (I have more to give her tonight) but what can I do about the other chickens bothering her? Should I lock them outside? It's 90+ degrees here this week and they like sitting in the house where it's nice and dark and sort of cool(?). Also she tends to move around to a different nest box after she gets up to eat, drink, and poop. What would you do?

#47195 - 07/10/05 03:17 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
move her at night to a dark private room with food and water secured to the wall and a nestbox for her to squeeze into. make it secure, and easy to clean her daily stinky single dropping, and easy to give her food and water refills.
dont leave her with the other birds. if she is broody the move wont break it, specially if done at night and moved to dark secure quarters.

#47196 - 07/10/05 03:51 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Thanks for your reply but I already tried that. She won't sit after I move her. She just stands around. I left her in her new house for about a day and a half but she refuses to sit down. That's why I don't know what to do. confused

#47197 - 07/10/05 04:48 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
For a while when a hen becomes broody, the location of the nest is all important, the eggs are not. As the set progresses, MOST broody hens become very attached to the eggs--and then you can safely move her (as mentioned--at night--AND NOT in SIGHT of her former nesting place.) Now that you have done this unsuccessfully once, it may be that she will not be reliable--anyplace this time around. Moving from nest to nest is common as it is easy for the hen. I like my cardboard boxes, as I can move the hen, nest and all, and she is not upset by a new nest and maybe not recognizing her eggs as they fit in a new nest. It is usually not a hard thing to move a setting hen, but darn, there are exceptions! Good luck with trying again! CJR

#47198 - 07/10/05 08:57 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
let her stay there till she gets broody again, then move her at night to the private room inside her nest box. one of mine did the same thing the first time i moved her.

#47199 - 07/11/05 07:08 AM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
I had a few hens that did the same thing when I moved them. I will try next time to move at night.
My white silkie has been sitting continuously for 3 months. I am not hatching any more so she is out of luck.

#47200 - 07/11/05 04:16 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Since she became broody again after I put her back in her familiar surroundings, I gave her 8 eggs to sit on this morning. Today when I got home from work there were 4 remaining ones. The rest were eaten and she has egg all over her underbelly. mad The other hens laid three more eggs in her nest box. I've marked the ones I put under her so I gathered the rest and gave her some clean straw. She didn't really like it. I locked the others out of the henhouse for now but it's pretty hot outside. They have a tarp over their run but I can't lock them out permanently. I wish she would cooperate. I'm going to try to move her again tonight. Also I have a very aggressive rooster so I have to figure out how to keep him out of the house while I'm doing this. Sheesh. This is getting ridiculous. I sure want to try this but I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

#47201 - 07/15/05 05:49 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Is there a reason why you don't just leave her in the original hen house with the others? I have 33 hens and 2 are broody. There are 8 nesting boxes and of course the 2 broody ones take up 2 different boxes. I've never had any problems with the other hens bothering the broody ones. Sometimes when the other hens are looking for a place to lay, they might scooch in next to the broody hen. But I've never had any trouble with any of them.

#47202 - 07/15/05 05:56 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Yes, there's a reason. The other hens ate four of the original eggs I put under her when I left her in the henhouse. They tend to bother each other and all want in the same nest box. I have 4 boxes for 11 hens. Also she had egg yolk all over her belly from sitting in broken eggs. I couldn't leave her in those conditions. She's doing much better now. I moved her at night along with 8 eggs and she's been sitting on them for about a week. My worry about her now is that she's not drinking any water. I'll continue to watch her though. Thanks for your interest and your reply.

#47203 - 07/15/05 06:12 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It is important that she get off the nest to drink, eat a little, and make that huge stinky poop. By her poop you shall know she has gotten off the nest once a day or every other day at least! Sometimes when it is hot (and I guess it IS in KS) they will get off several times a day==and if they can wander outside, may leave the nest for a half hour or so. The eggs do not cool fast in winter--and probably hardly at all in summer. It is part of the hatching process and in spite of what others say, when I have used an incubator, I checked at least some of the eggs every day of the 21! You can quietly remove her from her nest and place her in front of food and water. I hope your nest box with eggs is at ground level or low. Sure hope this goes well for you--it is such a good thing, this hatching! CJR

#47204 - 07/15/05 07:34 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Well I know for a fact there is no stinky poop in her brooder. The straw is as clean as the day I put it in there! It's very hot here, mid 90's for the next 10 days or so. In the garage where she is, there is a ceiling fan and if I keep the door shut it stays a little cooler. Also there's a light on during the day so I know she can see the food and water. I don't know why she won't get off the nest. I'll try again tomorrow to get her off of it for awhile and get her interested in some water. Sometimes I think she is afraid of her new surroundings so she won't move. Thanks for all the help with this. It's keeping me awake at night and I really want to enjoy this process as much as I can.
As far as candling the eggs, what exactly am I supposed to be looking for? All my eggs are brown so they're very difficult to see through. Also I am using a flashlight in a dark room. What should I be able to see in an egg that's been sat on for a week?

#47205 - 07/15/05 09:14 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leaver her alone. After all, you had a hard time to get her to sit, now you want to take her out? She will come out in due time. She will not let herself die. If you bother her too much, she might just decide to stop everything. Just keep the food and water close to her where she can see it and she will take care of the rest.

One other point; the poop will not be in the nest, she will walk off of the nest to do the big poop. Be sure she can get off of the nest (on her own) and have an area to walk around in. She neeeds that to keep her system running and to eat and drink. Good luck, sit back, and let mother nature take over.

BTW, I have two broodies on nests too. They did not come out to drink for two days after I moved them. Now they come out, eat, drink, and poop when they feel the need. One week left and counting... I love to watch a hen with chicks!

#47206 - 07/16/05 09:43 AM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Thank you, StingRay. I'm a dyed in the wool worrier. I can rationalize that she won't let herself die but I sure as heck can't second guess what a chicken is thinking! I was just going to go back to her pen and see if she was up yet. Now I think I'll force myself to stay away and let things happen, like you say. I was pretty sure she wouldn't poop in the nest. The nest is in a small animal cage with the door open sitting on the floor of the 5x5 pen with straw on the floor of everything. There's straw in her little cage where she's made a nest. There's food and water so she has everything she could possibly want. I guess I'm becoming a mother hen through this process. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2