Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47204 - 07/15/05 07:34 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
Well I know for a fact there is no stinky poop in her brooder. The straw is as clean as the day I put it in there! It's very hot here, mid 90's for the next 10 days or so. In the garage where she is, there is a ceiling fan and if I keep the door shut it stays a little cooler. Also there's a light on during the day so I know she can see the food and water. I don't know why she won't get off the nest. I'll try again tomorrow to get her off of it for awhile and get her interested in some water. Sometimes I think she is afraid of her new surroundings so she won't move. Thanks for all the help with this. It's keeping me awake at night and I really want to enjoy this process as much as I can.
As far as candling the eggs, what exactly am I supposed to be looking for? All my eggs are brown so they're very difficult to see through. Also I am using a flashlight in a dark room. What should I be able to see in an egg that's been sat on for a week?

#47205 - 07/15/05 09:14 PM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leaver her alone. After all, you had a hard time to get her to sit, now you want to take her out? She will come out in due time. She will not let herself die. If you bother her too much, she might just decide to stop everything. Just keep the food and water close to her where she can see it and she will take care of the rest.

One other point; the poop will not be in the nest, she will walk off of the nest to do the big poop. Be sure she can get off of the nest (on her own) and have an area to walk around in. She neeeds that to keep her system running and to eat and drink. Good luck, sit back, and let mother nature take over.

BTW, I have two broodies on nests too. They did not come out to drink for two days after I moved them. Now they come out, eat, drink, and poop when they feel the need. One week left and counting... I love to watch a hen with chicks!

#47206 - 07/16/05 09:43 AM Re: I have a small broodie hen problem
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
Thank you, StingRay. I'm a dyed in the wool worrier. I can rationalize that she won't let herself die but I sure as heck can't second guess what a chicken is thinking! I was just going to go back to her pen and see if she was up yet. Now I think I'll force myself to stay away and let things happen, like you say. I was pretty sure she wouldn't poop in the nest. The nest is in a small animal cage with the door open sitting on the floor of the 5x5 pen with straw on the floor of everything. There's straw in her little cage where she's made a nest. There's food and water so she has everything she could possibly want. I guess I'm becoming a mother hen through this process. :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2