Topic Options
#47317 - 08/13/02 09:59 PM Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a turkey chick who finally hatched this morning, but it had a large glob of what looks like yolk hanging out of where the naval usually closes. I have seen this before but it is usually small and I have been able to save the chick by pushung it in and securing it with a band aid for a day and it heals up, but this is too large. It seems to be getting smaller as the day progressed. It has not tried to stand up but moves and sleeps but is alert and opens it's eyes.
Will it continue to get smaller and eventually be okay? Is there anything we can do to help other than to leave it alone. It seems comforatable it just curls up and sleeps. Should we try and give it some water or is it still getting nutrition from the blob? Please answer ASAP as we are getting really worried. Email is Trekcip@aol.com thanks

#47318 - 08/13/02 10:25 PM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I don't have experience with turkeys, but I would put a little bit of neosporing where the yolk is. It is a local anasthetic and it will kill any bacteria that might want to settle in. Don't force feed a chick. It has 2 days reserves of food and water. Have water available nontheless. The less you feed it, the more it uses the yolk and the quicker the yolk place gets smaller. Good luck.

#47319 - 08/14/02 05:09 AM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Just wanted to say that I agree with Aram, but also don't have specific turkey experience with this. Keep it clean, medicated and keep water available but most of all, keep this one separated until it is fully healed!

Susie

#47320 - 08/14/02 05:57 AM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
I'd leave it in the incubator and let nature take its course with this type of hatchling. See if it can absorb the yolk. Make sure no others can get around it, and that it can't tear the yolk sac on something, too.

Jennifer

#47321 - 08/14/02 09:18 AM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Once the chick hatches, most of any yolk material left outside will not absorb, but will dry up and fall off. Leaving it in the incubator a little longer will hasten this. In any case, it should be separated, if not left in the incubator, so other chicks will not peck and pull. If you use ointment, keep it only at the navel opening, or it will not dry up as quickly. Should be just fine, just a little extra attention this week! Good luck, CJR

#47322 - 08/14/02 09:13 PM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all your helpful replies. The chick died late this morning. I thought it probably would since it seemed weaker than yesterday. I am hoping the other two will do better. They should be hatching shortly. Also, one of my hens is still laying eggs. They had stopped for about 2 weeks and now suddenly there are eggs again. Very strange as I thought they usually don;t lay after June. Hopefully, these will be fertile as well. Thanks again for all the help.

#47323 - 08/14/02 11:01 PM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Treksip, Sorry about the poult. From what I hear from Turkey people, the poults do not have the temendous will to live that baby chicks do, but that little one had too great a handicap. Good luck with the next ones! CJR

#47324 - 08/19/02 08:51 PM Re: Help! Chick has stuff hanging out of naval!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to let you all know another yellow turkey chick hatched 2 day ago. This one has made it. It had the same problem, but very small, like my chickens have sometimes, so I put on the ointment, pushed it in and put on the abnd aid to hold it in. After a day, I took it off and it has healed up nicely. Seems these yellow ones are weaker than the regular ones. It took this guy 2 days before he was up and walking without falling over. But he is now in with his older siblings and doing great. Thanks again for all your help.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2