Topic Options
#47392 - 07/26/05 01:12 PM 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im at 19 days shouldnt they pip today? Also, how do i get responses to come to my email?

thanks

Bill

#47393 - 07/26/05 02:53 PM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Bill, Sent a PM answer. CJR

#47394 - 07/27/05 11:08 AM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm on day 20 now. No cheeping no piping are they dead? They look black on inside.

#47395 - 07/27/05 03:30 PM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello NCBILL,

Be patient, if the eggs are black then they sound as if they are fertile and ready to go. Depending on the temperature in your incubator the chickens may not pip until day 21,

#47396 - 07/27/05 03:59 PM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Chook-in-Eire Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Ireland
Incubation period is 21 days. I've also had chicks hatch on Day 22 and 23 both in the incubator and just today under a broody (Day 23).
Patience.
chook

#47397 - 07/27/05 05:11 PM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently hatched salmon faverolles. I had a broody ameraucana so I got her 13 eggs. She sat on them for a day. When she got off the nest for a poop run, a bantam took over her nest. Ezmeralda would not challange the bantam due to pecking order. I moved her nest to a kennel inside the coop on the morning of day two and left for 10 hours. Ez threw a fit, stomped all the eggs into the nest and, when she saw me that evening, flew up and wiggled her way out. No way she was living in a cage. It was too late to do anything with the eggs. The next morning, I called a friend who had a silkiw who'd gone broody the day before. We put seven eggs under Zoe. The remaining five went into an incubator I borrowed and had running around noon. All but three of the eggs survived Ez abandoning her nest! Of those, Zoe hatched two 19 days later. One hatched in the incubator on day 19, and two more over the next few days. One was a slosher and the other developed to the last day but didn't make it out. Zoe gave up at day 24. Three of those eggs sloshed, so my friend set them on the garbage can to toss out when she had something to put them in. Then, she heard a cheep. Peggy came tearing down and we put the egg in the incubator. We waited a few hours thinking the peep had broken into the air cell. I held the egg to my hear and could hear very light tapping. We decided to break the chick out. It was a hard call. We gently broke the shell and chipped out the peep. The peep was breach and never would have made it out. Further, the yolk had not yet absorbed with about half remaining outside. The little peep was vigorous and flopped more like a frog than a chick. We put it back into the incubator with LOTS of humidity and wet paper towels. The next morning it was still a jumping bean of a chick. 36 hours after we broke the shell, I had a healthy, fluffy yellow peep. My little troubadour remains well.

Give them time. Put them to your ear to listen. I used an old slide projector to candle the eggs. If you have a huge air cell, things may still be fine.

Olivia Grace

#47398 - 07/28/05 07:11 AM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to all. Im on day 21 now have cheeping.

#47399 - 07/28/05 10:12 AM Re: 19 Days Should PIP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First hatch! Was very exciting!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2