Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47552 - 02/11/03 03:25 PM When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My eggs will have been in the incubator for 21 days on friday. How many days should I give them till they hatch without turning them. I have seen 2-4 days but which really gives the best hatch rate? On which day should I stop turning them>?

#47553 - 02/11/03 03:56 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
The claim in print is that you can stop turning the eggs at day 14 of incubation without a noticable decrease in hatch. Most people stop turning chicken eggs at day 18. This is about when the mother hen stops turning the eggs and goes into her zombie mode.

#47554 - 02/11/03 06:36 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
I agree with the 18th day. Can anyone tell me why ? I have continued the turning through out the hatch without any apparent affects on hatching time or chick health. Other than the possibility of chicks getting caught in the turning mechanism, why do we stop ? confused confused

#47555 - 02/11/03 08:29 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Bill, I could say that it is so that the chick can get himself situated in a certain htaching position. I've noticed that most of my eggs pip on the upper half of the egg. But then I don't really know if that is the case afterall.

The reason why you should stop on day 18 is basically because you can. I bet that people who turn the egg by hand are happy to stop on day 15. Less care, less time commitment.

#47556 - 02/11/03 11:46 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
It is important to turn eggs through day 14 to ensure the proper development of the chorio-allantoic membrane (which nourishes the chicken). The membrane will NOT develop properly if the egg is not turned from day 2 thru 14. There are quite a few papers establishing this fact over the last 12 ot 15 years. Hurnik has been quite involved in this work as has the International Fertility Research Group of the World's Poultry Science Association.

#47557 - 02/12/03 03:11 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Caveny and Aram both have good points. I would add that since the incubator should be closed and kept closed on the 18th day, that would be another reason for stopping the turning of eggs at that time. I wish I could trust that the 14th day is a good stopping point. When you're hand-turning 400+ eggs 2-3 times a day, it becomes, at times, tedious. I find myself talking to the eggs and verbally 'encouraging' the chicks (when no-one is around!). It becomes really boring when both incubators will be running. Does that 3day period before hatching hold true for all species of barnyard fowl?

#47558 - 02/12/03 08:49 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Early Bird Offline
New Egg

Loc: Arkansas
We routinely transfer our eggs from the setter to the hatchers at 14 days. There does not seem to be any decrease in hatchability. Go ahead and stop turning at 14 days. It will be ok!

#47559 - 02/12/03 11:52 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My chicks are supposed to hatch late on friday but I took the egg turner out today (wednesday). Do you think that this will affect the hatch at all?
Also, when I took the egg turner out the temperature skyrocketed to about 108 but only a couple minutes. This wont affect the hatch rate, will it? I didnt touch the dial that increases the temperature at all. Has anyone else had this happen to them before? Ooh its a Little Giant Incubator. The only logical reason I could think of is because of the magnetic field from the magnets in the egg turner motor.

#47560 - 02/12/03 02:07 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I had the temp go real high one night and all was well. I thought they were cooked.

#47561 - 02/12/03 02:51 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Don't worry, I've had that happen to little giant too. I decreased the temperature, but then it was too low, so I had to increase it. It is a big finiky, but I've never had problems. Just keep an eye on it. This late in incubation temperature differences are not as detrimental as at first.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2