Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47562 - 02/13/03 05:29 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
I never stopped to think that people are turning eggs by hand. I've always had an automatic turner. All chicks pip at the larger end of the egg, thats where there head is - always, next to the air cell. I am not suggesting anyone continue turning, just trying to find out the reason everyone recommends stopping, there has to be something. I have done both, and to continue turning through the hatching process doesn't seem to adversly affect the chicks at all.
Big Boy - talking to the eggs WORKS Something else I believe works is, once the first chicks hatches, the rest seem to come out faster. Do they think they are missing out on all the fun ? laugh

#47563 - 02/13/03 06:43 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my first time hatching eggs in an incubator and I never knew before how long to expect a chick to take come out of its eggs. Yesterday evening my first chick started (19Th day) and all of today also. Tommorow I am almost sure he will hatch all the way out. IS this normal or should it take 1 1/2 days for the first chick to hatch?

#47564 - 02/14/03 06:20 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Some chicks take awhile to come out, but most hatch within 1 day after they pip the egg. It is best to increase the humidity during hatching. That helps the chicks turn inside the egg & keeps them from sticking to the shell because they are to dry.

#47565 - 02/14/03 07:33 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
"Ima".....if I had a chick taking that long to come out, I'd increase the humidity in the incubator. In a pinch, I just get an old washrag wet with warm water and put it in there. I hope your first chick is out by now! The general rule of thumb is for them to be out of that shell within 24 hours of pipping that first hole. It doesn't always work that way but *after* 24 hours I get a little nervous about it. Once you have a couple of chicks hatched and peeping, you will find the others progress much more quickly.

Bill -- honestly, I think that stopping the turning is just trying to mimic mother nature as closely as possible. Most hens will go into a trancelike state at the end, near the hatch time, and they won't get up for that daily eat/poop routine anymore. But, I have had hens that DO get up and of course when they get back on that nest and settle in, they are turning the eggs so I don't think it matters either. In fact, they turn the eggs during the actual hatch sometimes! I don't think you MUST stop. But turning by hand is a pain so I would stop just because I could. And automatic turners need to be removed well ahead of hatch time so I guess it makes sense with both methods.

Susie

#47566 - 02/15/03 05:04 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Susie - both my incubators have the automatic turners on the outside of the incubator, I don't need to remove them, just unplug. kinda neat, huh? It also helps because I do not have to open the incubator to remove a turner & there is no change in humidity. Controlling the humidity is also from the outside. The only time I open mine is to add or remove eggs, usually once a week. They also have clear plastic covers so I can see anything going on inside. When they are operating properly they hold temperatures within 1/2 degree of the 99.5 set point. After hearing about other incubtors, I'm glad I have these cool
Bill

#47567 - 02/15/03 05:33 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Hi Bill,

I would love to have an incubator that doesn't need the turner removed! Ours is homemade and we purchased an automatic turner so we do have to remove it. Yours sounds really nice!

Susie

#47568 - 02/15/03 07:37 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

I'd really like to try and build one, got plans?
Mine are made by Lyon Electric, Marsh farms. They are a Turn-X Model & a Roll-x Model, I've had them for 20 years and they were stored for about 15 years. But when I got back into raising Bantams again, I got them out,cleaned them up & they ran perfectly. I am having trouble with the smaller unit now, but I think that after 20 years its probably time to get a new one, so Monday I going to get on the phone and order it.
Have thought about trying other types, but I've had such good luck with these, I want to stay with works for me

#47569 - 02/17/03 04:02 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Bill, we are "bonding" when I talk to them! I just wanted to mention that I have been trying a little 'experiment' with light (red vs white) colour. So far the chicks under the red light are far-r less noisy and seem to accept my ministrations with less hubbub than the ones under the white light (which chicks continually try to get on the feeders as I withdraw them to clean and re-fill and rush over to the waterer as soon as they hear the gurgling - trompling their hatch-mates in the process. Were they out of water before, no, they just wanted to get to the fresh water before anyone else :rolleyes: ).

I have had people come in and ask why those two batches are so much noisier than the other two (didn't notice the light colour differences). I usually run red lights for my chicks but, after last years discussions, decided to check it out again. I am only four weeks into this but I believe that I'll go back to just the red lights.

#47570 - 02/18/03 06:42 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Actually - YEAH - I am laugh You want to try something else as an experiment? Do you want friendly birds??? I have a Fish Tank, yeah a FISH TANK that I put a small incubator over & I put newly hatched chicks in. It works well for small groups, but the idea is that the chicks imprint on humans, just like other animals do. The chicks that are started like that are never afraid of fast movement or people or dogs, cats or other animals that are around. When I move them to the brooder, I pick them up often & open wings. smooth tail feathers & etc. The birds I do this with will walk right into my hand, face off with the dog & are generally unflapable. GREAT for Show birds. Try it, it works cool cool

#47571 - 02/19/03 02:24 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Well Bill, I hope you are not a young man because I can see that you have the makings of a real chicken man. They will ruin your life! You will become like many of us chicken mongers and observe them for hours and be lost to time for long periods. Your wife and kids won't know you and you won't even care who is on the latest stupid new show on television. Too bad you might have turned out to have a promising career in politics. I hope that over the years you receive as much enjoyment from chickens as I have for the last 48 plus years. I still have pictures of my first chicken "Henry" the mean White Leghorn rooster which I got in 1955. Henry started me down the road to ruination.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2