Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47572 - 02/19/03 02:26 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Well Bill, I hope you are not a young man because I can see that you have the makings of a real chicken man. They will ruin your life! You will become like many of us chicken mongers and observe them for hours and be lost to time for long periods. Your wife and kids won't know you and you won't even care who is on the latest stupid new show on television. Too bad you might have turned out to have a promising career in politics. I hope that over the years you receive as much enjoyment from chickens as I have for the last 48 plus years. I still have pictures of my first chicken "Henry" the mean White Leghorn rooster which I got in 1955. Henry started me down the road to ruination. I certainly have enjoyed them and they are so much nicer than people.

#47573 - 02/19/03 06:19 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Bill --

No, I don't have any specific incubator plans. What we did was look all over the internet for plans and started with that. Like all things chicken, it is a work in progress! laugh Every time we use it, we see things we want to change. You know how that goes! Sounds good in theory, looks good after you build it and then when you really use it you are cussing a couple of things you did! LOL!

If/when we come up with something that is practical to build and truly easy to use, I'll draw up some plans and share them! Ours works and we get a good hatch rate, but we're talking about more modifying before this year's hatches. Maybe one day when I'm old and gray, I'll get it right.

Susie

#47574 - 02/24/03 09:55 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,

What kind of incubators do you use? I have always let the hens set, but I'm thinking of buying some eggs and hatching them in an incubator. What is the best kind for the backyard enthusiast and for small numbers of eggs i.e., 12.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

#47575 - 02/24/03 09:58 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oops, looks like I didn't read the second page of comments.....sorry about that.

#47576 - 02/25/03 07:02 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
WELL - MR. Gaveny, its to late for me. I already do not watch T.V. There are more interesting things happening in the incubator, brooder & pens than anything T.V. can produce. I, too started when I was young, my mother always said "she was glad we didn't live in Africa", because of all the animals I brought home as a kid. Some of those, I forgot to take out of my pockets, frogs, and ended up being run through the ringer on washing machines (showing my age here) For some reason, I got into trouble about that ! ! !
Breeding, raising & showing Chickens is interesting & fun, but Spring hatching is the BEST
I spend a lot of time setting -up incubators to be exactly right & it pays off with excellent hatches. my "motto" is, if it can hatch, I can hatch it. Funny what entertains us eek laugh laugh laugh laugh

#47577 - 02/25/03 07:50 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For Bill. Are you aware that Cutler supply has parts for turnex incubators? I just ordered some parts from them. Prices are reasonable compared to buying new incubators.
As for a home made incubator that looked pretty good to me , I think its Mississippie state college that has plans for one on thier poultry science pages. Just use a search engine and type in incubator and poultry it will come up. It has a manual turner but it is all done by pushing or pulling 1 rod. and would only take a couple of seconds.
For BigBoy. I have been using full spectrum lights for my brooder reflectors. They are available at all hardware and garden stores.

#47578 - 02/25/03 08:11 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the latter part of last November I found a neighbors hen in my barn setting on 14 eggs. I wanted to test my hovabator. So went and started it up aand let it stabilize for 1 day Then I went back out and stole 4 of the hens eggs. I put them in the incubator and marked the date that they shoul hatch if she just started the day befor I found them I kept the water level up to maintain humidity. On the 17th day I walked into the room where the incubattor was and heard a chirping. I had forgot to turn off the turner and infact didnt expect them to hatch for a couple of days more. I looked in and seen a freshly hatched chick. in an area wher there wer no egg racks he was fine. I stopped the turner and listened and could hear other unhatched eggs chirping. I kept a pretty close eye on the incubator and pretty soon that little chick that was hatched climbed back up and set in his shell. he got out again and climbed back in several times. It was very cute to see him returning to his shell but also kind of facinating that he did it. He would set all the way down in it. Two more of the 4 eggs I had also hatched and one did not. I checked the hen and she also had 2 hatched the first day and 3 more the second day. She did not leave the nest until the third day. I grabbed her chicks because it was quite cold outside and I was also worried about hawks and a cat that some times comes around. There was no feed for chicks available outside. 5 of her eggs did not hatch. I called her owner and told hm what I had done and he said he didnt have time or a place to care for them So I volenteard to keep them until they wer 5 weeks old then took them back to him and loaned him a light to keep them warm in his garage. please note that I had a better hatch rate than the hen. It was very cold at that time, Mid december.Nights were around 18 degrees F.

#47579 - 02/28/03 05:31 PM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
olsubsailor - thanks, I have already recieved my new on , have it set up with eggs in it. I do want to work on my old one, but its got chicks in it (hatching)
That is quite a story about hatching. I've always thought I could hatch as good as any hen (right !). I don't do it because if I let my hens set I don't get as many eggs, when your raising them for show, more eggs, (chicks) is GOOD

#47580 - 03/02/03 08:04 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

old sub- you cheated as the eggs were already incubated by the hen- this changes the odds, dont expect as good success in later hatches

#107299 - 12/11/12 11:22 AM Re: When to stop turning eggs? [Re: Anonymous]
rugy2014 Offline
New Egg

Loc: uk
I have two hatches in the same incubator an due at different times. Can I leave the turner on without any adverse affects? It is an king suro 20.
Thanks for your replies in advance

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2