Topic Options
#48574 - 05/17/09 06:02 AM Need advice on pipped chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a teacher and I'm incubating eggs in my classroom for the first time so I'm not very experienced. Friday was the 21st day and there was no activity in the incubator. I went to school on Saturday with my principal's permission and candled the eggs to see what was going on.

I found one chick started to pip; his beak was poking out of the hole and he was peeping. The pip was in the middle of the shell, however and I've read that the hole should be further up by the fat part of the shell.

I'm very nervous about this little chick. I can't go into school today and check on him so I have to wait until tomorrow! It's a day and a half by itself.

Has anyone ever had a similar kind of experience? I know that there's not much I can do and if he hatches then he'll be ok in the incubator for a day. I keep imagining all these different things that could go wrong. Any advice?

#48575 - 05/17/09 06:50 AM Re: Need advice on pipped chick
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
For today, wait it out patiently. smile If it were me, I'd be helping the little guy out tomorrow AM if he's not out yet. Little by little help him out ... taking tiny bits of shell & membrane off where he's started to pip. I usually get a little warm water and dip my finger in it to dampen the membrane if needed (sometimes it is stuck to the chick). If you encounter any bleeding (from the veins that run around the inside of the membrane) then STOP for a few hours. These veins need to 'dry out' or the chick can bleed to death. Many would argue with me on helping a chick pip but others do help their babies out on occasion with success. Would love to hear how it goes!

Suzi
www.lifeonanacreage.com

#48576 - 05/17/09 10:04 AM Re: Need advice on pipped chick
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Coming out the side instead of the fat end isn't always a problem. If the chick does not encounter liquids that drown him, he has a good chance of making it. If you heard peeping, that's a good sign.

I help chicks too. If they take too long to hatch, they get stuck. The membrane dries onto them and they can't get free of it. A little warm water dabbed on with a finger can help. Good luck.

#48577 - 05/17/09 10:07 PM Re: Need advice on pipped chick
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Hopefully by now your little chick will have made it out of his shell. 24 hours in the incubator is not usually a problem after hatching, because they feed off the yolk sac for a few days, but after that he will start to dehydrate unless he has access to water. All the best for the rest of your hatch.

#48578 - 05/18/09 04:51 PM Re: Need advice on pipped chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

I came in this morning and he hadn't gotten out yet. He had only made a bigger hole, poor thing. Thanks to your advice I was able to help him out successfully. He's a fighter! He's doing well and my students are all very excited. We named him Lucky.

He's all by himself though, none of the other eggs hatched. I ordered some day old chicks today to keep him company. Thank you for all your help!

#48579 - 05/20/09 05:20 PM Re: Need advice on pipped chick
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
Glad to hear at least the one came through, great job!

Suzi
www.lifeonanacreage.com

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2