Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49219 - 01/08/06 09:54 AM Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello, My name is Stephanie smile and I'm 15. I've been showing and raising chickens for 5 years in 4-H.. I love to judge poultry and I've also shown chickens at open shows. I have allways liked showing Turkens/Naked Necks and Silkies so when I found out about showgirls I knew I had to become a breeder!! I have just purchased some good turkens and some good silkies I have 4 turken hens and 1 rooster.. I also have 9 silkies which are not old enough for me to tell what they are yet.. So I'm just starting.. What do you think would be the best thing for me to do? I have no clue what I'm doing besides eagerly awaiting for my birds to mature.. Please if you have any tips let me know.. Would it be wise to try and purchase a showgirl from someone to get a head start? I've allready spent allot on the birds I have so I'm not wanting to get over my head.. Thank You! Any advice you have would be great! Stephanie

P.S. I have many colors!!

#49220 - 01/11/06 09:58 AM Re: Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Another question I need answered would be is it ok to breed a regular sized turken with a silkie? They are pretty big for a bantam... C'mon someone has to have some tips for me, its been 3 days or so!! Thank You!

#49221 - 01/11/06 11:05 AM Re: Showgirls
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I think the correct name is Naked Necks.

The silkie gene is recessive; so if you cross Naked Necks x Silkies, it will take at least two generations before you get any "Showgirls." You would pick out the best males and females from the first cross (known as F1) and breed them together. You would get some Showgirls in the second generation (known as F2). I recommend you breed like colors (i.e., white Naked Necks x white Silkies). Whether or not you should purchase some Showgirls is up to you. If you want to develop your own line, then use what you have and go from there.

#49222 - 01/11/06 01:09 PM Re: Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Thank You!!! I think I will try my own line and I'll stick with the same colors!! If anyone else has any advice feel free!! I need all the help I can get..

#49223 - 01/11/06 01:18 PM Re: Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

If I breed a white naked neck with a blue silkie will I get splash??

#49224 - 01/11/06 02:21 PM Re: Showgirls
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
No, unless the white Naked Neck carries a blue gene (Bl). You get splash when you breed two blue birds together. A blue bird carries one black gene (bl) and one blue gene (Bl). A splash bird carries two blue genes (Bl, Bl).

#49225 - 01/11/06 03:04 PM Re: Showgirls
Glenda L. Heywood Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
you need to find the silkie boards at
http://www.google.com
put in yahoogroups.com
then when there put in
ASBC
and join
also when there put in
American silkie Bantam club
join and ask the silkie people who have perfected show girl bantams

for more articles go to
http://www.gkpet.com
click on pet forum
http://www.nationalpoultrynews.com
Glenda L heywood
frizzlebird6@yahoo.com

#49226 - 01/11/06 04:40 PM Re: Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Thanks for all the help!!

#49227 - 01/14/06 12:15 PM Re: Showgirls
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Hi-

The 'white'(splash) birds from blue breedings look very different from erm, 'regular' white birds. Also as indicated above, they are absolutely not the same genetically. I'm not sure why some genetic lessons describe the splash as 'white'. Sure confuses a lot of people!

It is totally up to you to start your own line or get a head start.

One pro for getting a showgirl is that several generations is 'done already' so you are more or less at where you want to be, from there you can breed for things such as perfecting the color or body type or whatever. Also, you can get just one showgirl and simply breed it with your silkies. The naked neck gene is dominant so at least half of the babies of this breeding would be showgirls.

The pro for your own line is that it's fun and educational. The con is.. it is not as simple and straightfoward as it may sound. The turken parent has many genes not found in silkies so it may take a 'few more generations' to get better looking showgirls.. more 'silkie looking'(if that's your goal too) such as smaller & more compact body, darker skin, good feathering on legs and crest size.

#49228 - 01/14/06 12:24 PM Re: Showgirls
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

I want to get a perfect showgirl from my own line and hope to see it be shown at shows and reconized as a breed in my life!!I don't care if it takes me 30 years! I even might buy some showgirls to get a little head start! Good thing I'm young!! Thanks for all the help, Stephanie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box